Post-doctoral Stipend (2 years) in Cloud Computing and Distributed Systems
Umeå University is dedicated to providing creative environments for learning and work. We offer a wide variety of courses and programmes, world leading research, and excellent innovation and collaboration opportunities. More than 4 000 employees and 37 000 students have already chosen Umeå University. We welcome your application!
The Department of Computing Science at Umeå University (see www.cs.umu.se) is seeking an outstanding candidate for a post-doctoral fellowship in cloud computing and distributed systems. The ideal candidate would like to find innovative solutions and make specific contributions in resource management for large scale distributed Internet services. Possible research topics for the fellowship include:
• distributed storage systems
• reliability, availability, and scalability of Internet services
• distributed monitoring, accounting, and quota enforcement
• basic tools for managing compute and data intense distributed services
• data centric approaches for managing distributed systems
• algorithms and mechanisms for differentiated cloud services
• theory and algorithms for distributed resource allocation
• algorithms and mechanisms for fault tolerant and resilient cloud services
The research is performed in an international and creative environment, currently comprising 17 persons of 6 nationalities. We work within large-scale national and international projects and in close collaboration with major industrial (e.g., IBM, SAP, and Atos Origin) and academic partners. Software is contributed to various open source community efforts including NorduGrid/ARC and the Globus Toolkit, the latter as a member of the Globus Academic Affiliate Program. The group is also a member of the NESSI workgroup on service-oriented infrastructure. See www.cloudresearch.org for an overview of ongoing research projects.
The research is performed in collaboration with the High Performance Computing Center North (HPC2N) and the UMIT research laboratory at Umeå University. HPC2N is a member center of the Swedish National Infrastructure for Computing (SNIC), providing competence and computing resources, including grid resources. HPC2N actively takes part in Swegrid, NDGF, NorduGrid and EGEE. UMIT is an environment for interdisciplinary research in scientific, high-performance, distributed, real-time, and visual computing.
This opportunity is aimed for post-doctoral research, to be performed jointly with senior researchers and PhD students in the group, as well as with our collaboration partners. Coordination tasks within large-scale projects may also be included. The post-doc fellowship is for two years and comes with a competitive stipend.
Applicants should have earned a PhD in Computer Science or a related field relevant for the position, preferably not more than three years ago. Preference will be given to applicants with a proven research record and publications in the relevant areas. Applicants should be fluent in spoken and written English.
Submitting your application
A complete application should include:
• Introductory letter
• 2-page statement of research interests relative to the above topics and why your expertise is appropriate for the position
• Curriculum Vitae (CV) including a list of publications
• Copies of degree certificates, including documentation of completed academic courses and obtained grades
• Copies of original research publications relevant to the above topics
• Contact information for three persons willing to act as references
• Any other information relevant for the position such as copy of completed
PhD thesis, description of software development experience, or previous industrial experience.
All material should be submitted electronically or in two printed copies. Electronically submitted material should be in PDF or Word format.
For further information, please contact primarily Assistant Professor Francisco Hernandez-Rodriguez, email@example.com, phone: +46-(0)90-786 99 13, or Professor and Head of Department Erik Elmroth, firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: +46-(0)90-786 69 86.
Union information is available from SACO, +46-(0)90-786 53 65, SEKO civil, +46-(0)90-786 52 96, and ST, +46-(0)90-786 54 31.
Your complete application, marked with reference number 223-1509-12, should be sent to email@example.com (state the reference number as subject) or to the Registrar, Umeå University, SE-901 87 Umeå, Sweden to arrive August 25, 2012 at the latest.