Frequently asked questions about Application and Tuition fees

What does the tuition-fee charged at Umeå University cover?

The tuition-fees cover costs related to lectures, lab-work, study infrastructure (computer labs, library priviliges) and other study related expenses that Umeå University incurs.

What other services are provided to the tuition-fee paying students?

As a service to tuition-fee paying students, Umeå University guarantees accommodation via the International Housing Office (certain conditions and deadlines may apply).
The students are provided insurance coverage, for the duration of studies.
The University also provides Swedish Language instruction, at the beginners level, free of cost to all tuition-fee paying students.

I am admitted to a course/programme. How can I pay my tuition-fee?

A few weeks after the admissions process has completed, and you have accepted your admissions offer, the tuition invoice is sent to you via email.
The payment instructions, and other important information, are included along with the invoice.

Can I pay the tuition-fee after I arrive in Sweden?

No, it is not possible. The Swedish Migration Board does not process any application for residence permit if the tuition is not paid.

I have received the tuition-fee invoice, can I delay the payment?

The payment deadlines are structured so as to enable a timely processing of the student's Residence Permit application with the Swedish Migration Board.
Delay in payment of tuition would mean delay with the Swedish Migration Board.

I paid for a course and was not able to finish the studies. Can I study the course again next semester without paying extra?

Yes, you may re-register for the course, if it is offered, without paying any extra tuition.

I didn’t pay the application fee in time. Can I pay it now?

If the application fee is not paid in time, then the application is not processed.
You can make the payment after the last payment date, but bear in mind that your application will then be regarded as a late application.

I am a citizen of a EU/EEA country. Why have I received a tuition invoice?

It is likely due to the fact that your citizenship is not documented in the university records.
To be designated tuition-exempt it ought to be done during the admissions process as described on this webpage. Upon completion of this formality, the tuition will be waived.

How do I prove that I am a family member of an EU or an EEA citizen?

If you are a family member of a citizen from an EU or EEA country and have temporary or permanent right of residence in Sweden, you must document your status.
To document your temporary or permanent right of residence in Sweden you must submit a attested copy of your "Residence card of a family member of a union citizen" (Uppehållskort) that you received from the Swedish Migration Board (Migrationsverket).
If you have been granted a Residence card (Uppehållskort), but have not yet received your card, please send a certified copy of the letter you received from the Swedish Migration Board (Migrationsverket) regarding this decision.

I have been granted a Residence Permit in Sweden for work-related reasons. Can I study without paying the tuition-fee?

Yes, if you have been granted a residence permit for reasons other than studies, you are exempted from paying tuition.
You must however document your status with

I would like to request for important information about payment of tuition fees and the related terms.

Please visit the link below for the general Terms and Conditions governing the tuition-fee payment. 


I am a PhD student at Umeå University. Can I study other courses without paying tuition-fee?

Studies part of your PhD are tuition-exempt.
You are however due both the application and tuition fees for studies that are not scheduled in your doctoral studies. 

My spouse is a PhD student at Umeå University, can I study without paying tuition-fee?

Yes you may study at any University in Sweden without paying any tuition fee since this means that you have been granted temporary Swedish residency for reasons other than studies. You may do so for the duration the permit is valid.

Can I study Swedish Language courses without paying tuition-fee?

The Swedish language courses are not tuition-exempt for PhD students.

Page Editor: Webmaster

Print page