How to Apply
Most applications to Umeå University are made through the national online application service universityadmissions.se. There is no paper version of the application; it has to be made online.
Step-by-Step Process to Apply
1. Select your programme of interest
The most important step in the admissions process is choosing the programmes/courses that is right for you. Use our online education catalogue advanced search to find out what is available with English language instruction.
The Difference Between a Programme and a Course
- A programme is made up of a set number of courses and at the completion of a programme the student will have earned a specific degree. A programme has usually between 60 - 180 credits (1 - 3 years of full-time study).
- A single-subject course can never lead to a degree. The standard course is 7.5 credits (5 weeks of full-time study).
IMPORTANT: 30 credits comprises full-time studies for an academic term. If you need a residence permit to Sweden, you need to be admitted to full-time studies in order to obtain one.
2. Review admissions criteria, eligibility requirements, and deadlines.
Read the sections on general admissions criteria and decisions and timelines and deadlines, and then carefully review the admissions requirements for your specific programme(s) of interest. Programme eligibilty requirements are found under "Application and eligibility" on the specific programme page.
3. Complete the online application
Use the national online admissions site - UniversityAdmissions.se - to complete the application. Before you apply you must create a user account. This user account serves as a link between your application and your personal data.
4. Assemble your supporting documents
In order to document your eligibility, you must provide University Admissions in Sweden documentation of your previous study information, as well as document your English proficiency. There is a special section at Universityadmissions.se just for information regarding the documentation of your eligibility.
Send your supporting documents to:
University Admissions in Sweden
SE–833 83 Stroemsund
*Separate Portfolio Requirements:
Programmes in Architecture, Design and Fine Arts have separate instructions regarding the submission of porfolio documents.
5. Application fee
With a few exceptions, all citizens of countries outside of the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland are required to pay application and tuition fees for education at the undergraduate and advanced level.
It is important to know that your application will not be processed until you have paid the application fee or proved that you are exempted from paying.
You can find more information regarding the fee here.
6. Follow your admission status
Students will receive two Notification of Selection Results from University Admissions, one after each of the two selection rounds. The results of these selection rounds will be presented in your Notifications.
7. Reply to your offer
If you see the term Admitted after the title of your study programme or course, congratulations! This means that you have been offered a place in the course or study programme.
You will need to reply and accept the offer to hold your place. This is done by logging in to 'My Pages" at universityadmission.se and following the instructions for Notification of Selction Results.
Deadlines and important dates can be found here
Additional documents are:
- Any other required documentation that is requested in the course/programme information in the online education catalogue.
- Documents that can be used in a selection process such as proof of work experience, practice, or a Resume/Curriculum Vitae. Note that letters of recomendation or letters of intent will not be concidered by Umeå University.
- Thesis or Essay - If specifically requested in the specific entrance requirements that are stated by the university and/or the department in the course/programme information in the online education catalogue may be sent directly to Umeå University. Check the programme description(s) carefully for detailed information.
- GMAT scores. If you are applying for a Master's program that is offered by the Umeå School of Business, a GMAT score will be accepted but it is not required. Please observe that the GMAT should be sent to Umeå University directly from GMAT (Institution code 81Q-GG-68). Eligibile students who have GMAT scores will be selected first.