Strong Research Environments
Umeå University has designated 14 strong research environments. The university management has the ambition to develop research at Umeå University a step further by identifying and supporting research environments of high international quality.
The environments are defined as having:
- a critical mass of internationally competitive researchers
- an international research network
- common overall goals and vision
- a continual exchange of experience and ideas between the participating researchers
- an ability to foster and develop emerging research talent into established researchers.
The environments have been designated by collegial nominations at the faculty level and international peer review.
Strong Research Environments at Umeå University
Environmental and resource economics
Light in science and technology
Modelling living systems – Icelab
Plant and forest biotechnology
The dynamics, structure and function of proteins
The environment’s chemistry – from molecules to the ecosystem