Finding Accommodation

A top priority for new students in Umeå is how to secure a place to live. In order to proceed with accommodation arrangements, it is important to understand what type of housing is right for you.

Housing for exchange students and tuition fee-paying students from outside the EU/EEA

The International Housing Office (IHO) offers student housing to exchange students and full-degree students that are citizens of countries outside the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland.

Exchange students should:

  • Be registered as a student at a university that has a student exchange agreement with Umeå University.
  • Have been nominated for the exchange by your home university.
  • Be registered at Umeå University for at least 15 ECT per term.

Tuition fee-paying students outside the EU/EEA are those:

  • That are required to pay application and tuition fees to study at Umeå University.
  • Are citizens of countries outside the EU/EEA and Switzerland.

Student Housing

Private and public accomodation in Umeå - finding a place to live on your own 

All international students (other than above) that are citizens of the EU/EEA/Switzerland and are studying a full-degree programme, distance education, or individual single-subject courses, have the responsibility of finding accommodation on their own.

Faculty and staff, including doctoral candidates and postdocs are also expected to secure housing in Umeå via the private sector.

Exchange students and degree students outside the EU/EEA can freely choose to find their own place to live, if desired.Private and Public Housing

Page Editor: Communications Office

Print page