Facts and Figures
Do you need help making up your mind to study at Umeå University? Here’s a short list of some great reasons why you should come to Umeå:
• Umeå was selected as the European Capital of Culture for 2014, with a growing list of exciting cultural events planned in coming years.
• The city has 168 football pitches (fields), 61 running tracks, 25 tennis courts, three golf courses, 38 swimming areas and all within a short journey of the city centre!
• Umeå is the home of northern Europe's largest sport and fitness facility (IKSU), located adjacent to the main campus.
• Umeå University prioritises groundbreaking research into areas such as life sciences, biology, human technology, social welfare and ecology.
• Umeå University’s campus is the size of 28 football pitches and more than 40 nationalities are represented among students and staff.
• Umeå is situated in the county (Västerbotten) with the lowest crime rate in Sweden.
• There are around 30,000 students in Umeå – making it a fun, sociable and creative place to live and study.