Residence Permit Information

If you are a non-EU/EEA* citizen coming to study in Umeå for less than three months then in most cases you will need a visa. If you intend to stay for more than three months you will need to obtain a residence permit in order to remain in Sweden. You must apply for a visa or permit before you arrive in this country.

Applications for permits should be made as early as possible to the Swedish Migration Board. When submitting your visa application your Letter of Acceptance/Notification of Admission from Umeå University is required. For further information, please contact the Swedish Embassy or Consulate in your home country.

If you are an EU/EEA citizen you have the right to reside in Sweden for more than three months without a residence permit. However you must still register with the Swedish Migration Board no later than three months after entering the country.

For more details on residence permits for studies in Sweden take a look at our Student Handbook or visit: and the Swedish Migration Board

*EU = European Union (27 member states: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmar, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom)

*EEA = European Economic Area (includes Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway)

* Croatia will be a member of the EU starting 1 July 2013. Croatian citizens should see the following link for more information on how this affects application and tuition fees.

More for EU/EEA citizens