Studying at Umeå University – EU/EEA citizens

As an EU/EEA citizen you have the right of residence in Sweden and may enter for studies without a residence permit. The same applies to your family members with the exception of your parents. You and your family members are entitled to begin working immediately.

Important! EU/EEA nationals must register with the Swedish Migration Board no later than three months after entering the country. The office in Umeå is located at Kylgränd 6B (take bus #8 to the Kylgränd stop).

An EU/EEA-country is the abbreviation of an European Union or European Economical Area country. EU/EEA-countries are:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmar, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom

Switzerland nationals are also considered residents of the EU/EEA.

Croatia will be a member of the EU starting 1 July 2013. Croatian citizens should see the following link for more information on how this affects application and tuition fees.

Related Information

Swedish Migration Board