Skip to content
Main menu hidden.

Information for tenants

Here are some things to keep in mind when you rent a single-occupancy room through the Umeå University Accomodation Service.

Duration of contract

The maximum period that you as an international student can rent a room through the Umeå University Accomodation Service is two semesters (one academic year).


It is recommended, but not mandatory, that you secure Home-insurance (hemförsäkring) for your personal belongings.

As a tenant, you are responsible for your accommodation, and this is irrespective of whether you or your friends are to blame for any damage. Furthermore, no consideration can be taken in relation to whether the damage was caused by a deliberate act, through carelessness or by accident. As the legal tenant, you will be held responsible for payment. Neither can the Umeå University Accomodation Service be held responsible for any theft or loss of your personal possessions. As you will not have a Swedish social security number, you might find it difficult to take out insurance in Sweden. Therefore, we recommend that you think carefully about your insurance situation before you leave home.


Internet is provided solely through the internet company Halebop, and our block agreement with them. Internet is included as part of the rent and cannot be excluded.

Your Internet connection should be on and running when you arrive, and all you will need is a computer and a LAN-cable to connect. Note: There is no wifi in your rooms.

Lost Key

If you lose your key(s), you should contact the Umeå University Accomodation Service immediately. You will have to cover the cost of changing the locks on your door. This is mandatory no matter how you lose your key. The price of changing a lock starts at 1500 SEK and depends on which key you lose. If you have locked yourself out, you can borrow a spare key for the day.

Rules and Regulations

Number of tenants

It is strictly prohibited to live more than one person in the same room. If more than one person is living in the room, your housing contract will be cancelled. You can of course have guests for a maximum period of 10 days.


It is prohibited to smoke in your room and in the common areas. You need to go outside and smoke. If your room smells of smoke when you move out, you will be charged for the sanitizing of the room.


If you plan to bring a pet with you, contact the Umeå University Accomodation Service for guidance in advance.

Be considerate...

You are allowed to have parties in your room and corridor, but keep in mind that you, as the host, are responsible for any damages or disturbances that are caused, including any possible turn-outs by Bostaden's security company. Think about your neighbours and try to keep things quiet at night and in the mornings. If you are disturbed by your neighbours, try to talk to them.

Contact information

If you have questions about your accommodation or want to report a problem, you can contact your area caretaker: List of area caretakers.

Please note: tenants living in rooms at Kvartsvägen, Gnejsvägen and Flintvägen need to contact the Accommodation Service: housing@umu.se.

Latest update: 2023-11-10