The course is about an application within one or more of the subjects Image Analysis, 3d Reconstruction, and Pattern Recognition. The relevant topics and theory about a project management model, e.g. Scrum, are introduced initially, followed by a larger software development project. The design of the project varies from year to year. Examples of possible projects are:
- Design an application that takes a set of images of a living room, builds a 3D model of it and visualizes it together with the IKEA bookcase "Billy" (or another piece of furniture).
- Design an application that given a number of scanned itemized phone bills calculates the phone subscription plan that would be the cheapest.
- Design an application that given a point cloud acquired by a laser scanner in a sparse forest, identifies trees and calculates their diameter at breast height.
- Develop a method that given inputs such as digital images and/or 3D point clouds from a forest, detects trees and classifies tree species.
- Identify and localize fruits in images using classifier fusion.
- Analyze 3D images from a Kinect-camera and detect people, trees, shrubs, and stones.
Course web page: http://www8.cs.umu.se/kurser/5DV115
To be admitted you must have 60 ECTS-credits in Computing Science or 2 years of completed studies, in both cases including Statistics for Computer Scientists, 5MS005 and either Matrix Computations and Applications, 5DA002 or the courses Fundamentals of Artificial Intelligence, 5DV121, Linear Algebra 5MA019, Single variable Analysis 5MA009 and a basic course in Programming Methodology (e.g. 5DV104, 5DV105, 5DV106, or 5DV114) or equivalent. Proficiency in English equivalent to Swedish upper secondary course English A (IELTS (Academic) with a minimum overall score of 5.5 and no individual score below 5.0. TOEFL PBT
(Paper-based Test) with a minimum total score of 530 and a minimum TWE score of 4. TOEFL iBT (Internet-based Test) with a minimum total score of 72 and a minimum score of 17 on the Writing Section).
Where the language of instruction is Swedish, applicants must prove proficiency in Swedish to the level required for basic eligibility for higher studies.
Applicants in some programs at Umeå University have guaranteed admission to this course. The number of places for a single course may therefore be limited.
Application deadline was
17 October 2016.
The application period is closed.
Application and Tuition fees
As a citizen of a country outside the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, you are required to pay application and tuition fees for studies at Umeå University.