Skip to content
Main menu hidden.


On this page we have gathered the most common questions about the application procedure for international students. If you cannot find the answer to your questions here or on the other pages concerning the application procedure, please contact us.

Note that exchange students find information about the application procedure under:
Exchange studies

Before Applying

Where can I find information about programmes in English?

You can find more information about available courses or programmes in English in our online course catalogue.

How do I apply?

Sweden has a national admissions system (the University Admissions) that enables applicants to submit one application for courses and programmes in Sweden.

More information about applications can be found on our web page How to apply.

Do I have to pay tuition fees?

With a few exceptions, all citizens of countries outside of the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland are required to pay tuition fees for education at Umeå University at the undergraduate and advanced level.

Tuition fees and funding

What is considered full time studies?

Full-time studies constitutes being enrolled in 30 ECTS for an academic term. In other words, if you decide to take individual courses, they must add up to a minimum of 30 ECTS credits in order to be considered a full-time student. For applicants requiring a residence permit (those outside of the EU/EEA), you will not be approved by the Swedish Migration Agency if you have less than 30 ECTS.

How many courses/credits can I study in one term?

To be a full-time student you have to study 30 ECTS credits per term (ex. 7.5 ECTS courses x 4 courses per term). You cannot apply for more than 45 ECTS per term without obtaining special permission to do so.

Are there any restrictions concerning the types of courses/programmes I may take?

You need to meet the prerequisites for the courses/programmes you apply for. The prerequisites are stated under the course description.

Note: Exchange students have a separate course offering and should apply for courses listed at:

Exchange Studies - search courses

Can I learn Swedish during my studies?

Umeå University offers beginner's level courses in Swedish, both during the autumn and during the spring term.


When applying

What do I have to include with my application?

You have to include:

  • certified true copies of your high school diploma
  • certified true copies of your previous university/college credits.

These copies will be used in the assessment of your application at Umeå University.

Students who apply from Ethiopia, Eritrea, Ghana, Nigeria, Sudan and Cameroon must have their home university send their transcripts directly to the University Admissions. No student copies are accepted from these countries.

The transcripts must be in English or Swedish, with the exception of transcripts from Scandinavian countries. However, in order to avoid misinterpretation, even these transcripts should be translated into English.

You must also include documents that prove your level of English proficiency.

I need to send my supporting documents by Air Courier - which address should I send to?

Please use the following address when sending your documents by air courier:

University Admissions in Sweden
FE 20102
SE-839 87 Östersund

When I applied at the University Admissions website, I did not receive a cover sheet. What do I have to do?

The cover sheet is intended for foreign applicants who do not have a personal identification number (personnummer). Students with a Swedish personal identification number need to include  that number on any documentation they submit to the University Admissions in Sweden.

What you need to do is to make a copy of the confirmation that you will receive when you have successfully applied on-line. Send this copy together with the required documentation. If your documentation is sent by another party make sure that they have your national registration number and application number so that the documentation can be matched to your application.

Note: this also applies to applicants with the "T"-number.

How do I prove that I meet the English language requirement?

For countries that are situated outside of the EU/EEA where English is not the official language we generally require an internationally approved test of English as a second Language, such as TOEFL or IELTS. An efficient level of English can sometimes be proven by high school grades in the subject.
Entry requirement

What is a certified true copy?

Copies that are stamped and signed by an official of the school, a public notary or embassy staff, and that attest that the copy has not been manipulated so that it deviates from the original.

The official stamp and the name of the person attesting should be clearly legible. Notary Public is not accepted from India, Pakistan, Cameroon or Nigeria. Unless specifically requested, you should never submit original documents. Original documents will not be returned.


After Application

I have applied online. How do I know that you have received my documents?

If you submit your documents before on time, you will receive a confirmation. If the documentation ar rives after the first selection, no confirmation will be sent.

You can also go to and login to your account.

When do I receive the Notification of Selection Results?

Results are typically sent by mid April (autumn term applications) and early November (spring term applications), if you have applied by 15 August or 15 January respectively.

You'll find detailed information on:

Key dates and deadlines

I have received my selection results but I have troubles understanding it

Most of the text that you receive is sent to everyone who applies - even if it is irrelevant. Please note that if you have been admitted to a course/programme the word "Admitted" will be clearly written next to the programme or course name.

If the word "Deleted" is written next to the programme or course, then you have not been admitted. The motivation for this is given in the notes.

Can I change courses?

To change courses there has to be available places in the course you wish to change to, and you must meet the prerequisites. To change course you need to submit a new application form for late application to the Admissions Office.

You also need to inform the teacher who is responsible for the course you are admitted to that you do not intend to attend the course.

I cannot attend the course/programme on time. Can I apply for deferment of studies?

The decision to defer the start of your course may be granted if you have valid reasons to do so.

If you are admitted to a course or a programme, and have valid reasons (e.g. social or medical) as to why you can not start the course, you can apply for a deferment. If you are granted a deferment, you are guaranteed a place on the course at a later term. Applications should be submitted to Student Services and must include a copy of the admission letter and certificate confirming your reasons. You can appeal the deferment decision.

Application form for deferment



"The professors try to balance theory with case studies, which I really like."
Adriele Pradi, master's in business and internationalisation student

Contact form

Your message will be sent to Infocenter at Umeå University. They will pass your message on to the person concerned.

The University is a public authority. Messages that you submit here are stored in accordance with Swedish law. Read more at about how we process personal data.