Skip to content
Main menu hidden.

New in Sweden

Are you new in Sweden and want to study? If you have completed a foreign upper-secondary education, or have equivalent knowledge, or if you have studied at a higher education institution before, you can apply for studies at Umeå University.

For new arrivals from Ukraine

For applicants from Ukraine, there are no special rules regarding the application and credit transfer process, but there are exemptions to the application and tuition fee.

Bachelor's  and Master's admission

Find out what you need to submit, what previous studies meet the general entry requirements, how to meet the English requirement and any special instructions for your country of study.

Bachelor's admission (

Master’s admission (

Transfer studies to Umeå University

To be able to apply for transfer of credits, you need to be admitted to and pursue academic studies at Umeå University. If you are a Ukrainian citizen and have applied for asylum in Sweden, or a citizen of a country within the EU/EEA or Switzerland, you can apply for studies in our second admissions round. If you have questions before applying for transfer of credits, you can contact the study counsellor of the programme/subject you are interested in.

Key dates and deadlines

General information about transfer of credit

Tuition fees

If you are a Ukrainian citizen with a residency permit under the EU Temporary Protection Directive in Sweden, you do not have to pay tuition fees. To be covered by the EU Temporary Protection Directive in Sweden, you must have left Ukraine after 30 October 2021 and it is valid until 4 March 2023.

However, you are required to provide documentation to prove your status for your application to be processed. Please notice, the residence permit under EU’s Tempo­rary Protec­tion Directive must be issued in Sweden to exempt anyone from paying tuition fee. 

Evaluation of Ukrainian education

The Swedish Council for Higher Education (UHR) is the public authority responsible for admission to higher education and the recognition of foreign qualifications.

Read more about getting your educational qualifications assessed.

Some basic insights to studies in Sweden

Am I eligible?

There are two different entry requirements: general requirements and specific requirements. The basic requirements are the same for all programmes and courses and the specific requirements differ depending on what extra knowledge you need for the specific course or programme.

On the University Admissions website you can find more information about entry requirements

Learn Swedish

Umeå University offers beginner's level courses in Swedish, both during the autumn and spring semesters. It is possible to take these courses parallel to other courses, but they do not lead to basic eligibility in Swedish for higher education. They are open to all international students, which includes students under formal exchange agreements and students in degree programmes.

Learn Swedish

Basic eligibility in Swedish

We also offer intensive courses in Swedish for students who would like to study the language on full-time. There are three 30 ECTS courses in progression which lead to eligibility in Swedish for studies on programmes and courses where Swedish is the language of instruction.

Please note that these courses are only offered in certain semesters: courses one and three are offered in the spring semester and course two in the autumn semester.

These courses are only available on the Swedish application web site If you need guidance to make an application, please contact Infocenter on Campus Umeå or a general study counsellor.

Our courses taught in English

It is possible to study a programme or a course that has English as the language of instruction. You can find all our available courses and programmes taught in English in our course catalogue.

I already have an academic degree

If you already have an academic degree and want to study any of our Master's programmes, you can find our programmes in the course catalogue.

Evaluation of a foreign education

When you apply for studies we assess your upper-secondary education or equivalent, or your university education if you have one. You do not need to apply for an assessment of your grades in your application.

If you would like to apply for an evaluation of your previous studies (both upper secondary and academic) without applying for studies, you can do that here: Recognition of foreign qualifications - Swedish Council for Higher Education ( Please note that academic assessments are intended for work, for a Swedish employer to understand your degree. It is not the same thing as eligibility for studies. Eligibility is always assessed when you apply for studies.

Tuition fees

With a few exceptions, all citizens of countries outside of the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland are required to pay application and tuition fees for education at Swedish universities at undergraduate and Master's level.

If you are granted a residence permit in Sweden for other reasons than studies, you will probably not be required to pay tuition fees.

Tuition, fees and funding

Questions about university studies?

You are welcome to contact us if you have questions about university studies or if you are interested in studying at Umeå University. Please submit your enquiry or ask a question via the contact form below.

Please state in the contact form when submitting your inquiry or question:

Upper-secondary education

  • Have you started an upper-secondary education?
  • Have you completed your upper-secondary education?
  • Do you have transcripts and/or diplomas of your upper-secondary education with you?
  • Are the documents translated into English or Swedish?

Higher education

  • Have you started a higher education?
  • Have you completed your higher education?
  • Do you have transcripts and/or diplomas of your higher education with you?
  • Are the documents translated into English or Swedish?
Type of education
Education level

Contact form

Infocenter at Umeå University will receive your message. If needed, we will pass it on to another person concerned.

The University is a public authority. Messages that you submit here are stored in accordance with Swedish law. Read more at about how we process personal data.