Skip to content

Entry requirements

Are you eligible for studies at Umeå University? There are different levels of eligibility that you have to meet to study different courses and programmes. All applicants must meet the basic eligibility requirements.

Basic eligibility

If you have completed an upper secondary school/high school education that makes you eligible for higher studies in your home country and meet the language requirements in English and/or Swedish you are eligible for university studies at Umeå University as well. More information about the language requirements can be found below on this page.

For students who received their final school grades after 31 December 2009, there is an additional entry requirement for mathematics as follows:

  • The student must have successfully completed courses in mathematics to reach the level of the Swedish course Mathematics A (approximately 10 years of mathematics studies).

This mathematics requirement does not apply to students who received their final school grades before 1 January 2010.

Note! Results below second class are not accepted and study results under 50% will not be considered.

Special requirements

For many courses and programmes there are special eligibility requirements to be met. These requirements generally concern previous studies in the speciffic subject or field of study. These special requirements are specified in the information regarding each course/programme in the online course.

Upper secondary school and university qualifications

If you have previous university studies, you must submit your upper secondary (high school) qualifications in addition to your university qualifications

Language requirements

Basic Proficiency in English (equivalent to English course B/6 from Swedish Upper Secondary School)

Proficiency in basic English can be proven by test scores from one of the following internationally approved tests:

  • IELTS (Academic) - minimum score 6.5 with no individual score below 5.5 (Tests taken before January 2008 are not admissible)
  • TOEFL - tests:
    - Paper-based; Minimum score 575 with minimum TWE score 4.5.
    - Computer-based; Minimum score 213 with minimum Essay Writing 4.0.
    - Internet-based (iBT); Minimum score 90 with minimum Writing score 20.
  • University of Cambridge/Oxford:
    - Certificate in Advanced English
    - Certificate of Proficiency
    - Diploma of English Studies
    - Oxford Delegacy Higher Examination
  • Michigan English Language Assessment Battery(MELAB) - minimum score 90
  • Advanced Placement International English Language (APIEL)
  • Pearson Test of English Academic: Score of 62 (writing 61)

You are also considered to meet the requirements for the basic level of English proficiency if you have:

  • One of the following certificates of upper secondary studies: General Certificate of Education (GCE) O-level/ General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE) or International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE) with a grade of C or higher, International Baccalaureat (IB) with English B/6 A1 or A2, SL with grade 4, German Abitur with English as Leistungskurs or first foreign language
  • A Bachelor's degree from a university where English is the only language of instruction, according to the latest edition of International Handbook of Universities.
  • A Bachelor's degree (a Swedish Kandidatexamen or equivalent academic qualifications) with English as the major subject.
  • Have a 4-year Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Natural Science or Technology from India or Pakistan.

Note regarding applications for autumn 2018 studies:
One way to meet the English requirements, as stated on the University Admissions webpages, is by proving that you have a defined number of higher education credits where English was the language of instruction. Due to a late change in this requirement, Umeå University will accept 30 higher education credits as described in the exceptions on the University Admissions webpage, for applications to autumn 2018 studies. For applications to spring 2019 and onward, you must be able to prove 60 higher education credits in the situation mentioned above.

Some education might require a lower level of English (equivalent to English course A/5 from Swedish Upper Secondary School)

This can be proven by supplying test scores from one of the following internationally approved tests:

  • IELTS Academic Training - minimum score 5.5 with no individual score below 5.0 (Tests taken before January 2007 are not admissable)
  • TOEFL - tests:
    - Paper-based; Minimum score 530 with minimum TWE score 4.0.
    - Computer-based; Minimum score 173 with minimum Essay Rating 4.0.
    - Internet-based (iBT); Minimum score 72 with minimum Writing score 17.
  • University of Cambridge/Oxford:
    - First Certificate in English - Grade A, B or C
    - Lower Certificate in English - Grade A or B
  • Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB) - minimum score 85
  • Pearson Test of English Academic: Score of 47

Language test scores are not required if:

  • You have completed a minimum of two years of studies at an accredited university or college with English as the medium of instruction. There are some exemptions to this rule.
  • You have completed one year of graduate studies and have written your thesis in English.
  • You are a student attending under a formal exchange agreements between Umeå University and their home university. See Exchange Students.

Proficiency in Swedish

To study one of the programmes or courses that are taught in Swedish you must prove that you have sufficient proficiency in Swedish. This can be done through the TISUS test. Find more information about the Tisus test under Related Information.

Recognition of prior learning

You can be considered eligible for a course or a programme despite the fact you don't meet the formal entry requirements. This can be done by referring to your accumulated competence, if you document it completely and clearly.

If you do not fulfil the requirements formally but still feel that you have acquired the knowledge needed to study a specific course or programme, you can apply for recognition of prior learning. In the application you must describe in what way you acquired knowledge and proficiency that gives you the ability to pursue higher studies.

To apply for recognition of prior learning you must first make an application for a course or programme.

Interested in making an application? Please contact Study guidance and support.

Learn more about prior learning and exemptions

Departure from the usual selection criteria (specific reasons)

You may be admitted if the university allows departures from standard selection criteria. The reasons may be medical, social or that you have already undergone a qualified course or possess other valuable experience. Only a few applicants are granted departure from the usual selection criteria.

  • submit a certificate from a doctor, psychologist, social worker, audiologist, trainers or equivalent. Copies must be witnessed by two people with names and phone numbers,
  • attach a statement to your application

Medical or social reasons that affected your ability to compete for a place on the training you seek. This can include serious illness, prolonged hospitalization, medication, difficult home or family circumstance, or the like.

Specific qualifications may mean that you have previous training, work or other things that means you have special conditions for education.

Use the form below to apply for departure from the usual selection criteria. An application must have been submitted to the Student Services/Admissions Office at Umeå University by 15 April for autumn term studies, by 15 October for spring term studies or by 15 March for summer term studies. You will get a message in your letter of acceptance saying whether or not your application has been approved.

Application for a departure from the usual selection criteria

Application for deferment

The decision to defer the start of your course may be granted if you have valid reasons to do so.

If you are admitted to a course or a program, and have valid reasons (e.g. social or medical) as to why you can not start the course, you can apply for a deferment. If you are granted a deferment, you are guaranteed a place on the course at a later term. Applications should be submitted to Student Services and must include a copy of the admission letter and certificate confirming your reasons. You can appeal the deferment decision.

Application for deferment