Skip to content


The following questions are the most common regarding application and admission to our university for international applications outside of the EU/EEA. If you cannot find the answer to your questions here or on the other pages concerning the application procedure, please contact us.

  • Where can I find information about Bachelor's programmes?

    We have small selection of undergraduate level programmes taught in English that can be found here:

  • Can I apply directly to Umeå University?

    We have a national admissions system in Sweden that enables applicants to submit one application for courses and programmes in Sweden. Applications should be made online, but please check the other pages under How to Apply in the navigation menu first so that you have all the information you need.

  • Are there any tuition fees?

    With a few exceptions, all citizens of countries outside of the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland are required to pay tuition fees for education at Umeå University at the undergraduate and advanced level.

  • How many courses/credits can I study in one academic term?

    To be a full-time student you have to study 30 ECTS credits per term (ex. 7.5 ECTS courses x 4 courses per term). You cannot apply for more than 45 ECTS per term without obtaining special permission to do so.

  • What is considered full-time studies?

    Full-time studies constitutes being enrolled in 30 ECTS for an academic term. In other words, if you decide to take individual courses, they must add up to a minimum of 30 ECTS credits in order to be considered a full-time student. For applicants requiring a residence permit (those outside of the EU/EEA), you will not be approved by the Swedish Migration Agency if you have less than 30 ECTS.

  • Are there any restrictions concerning the types of courses our students may take?

    The student has to meet the prerequisites for the applied courses. The prerequisites are stated under the course descriptions: see the online Course Catalogue.

  • What documentation do I have to include with my application?

    You have to include certified true copies of your high school diploma and of your previous university/college credits. These copies will then be used in the assessment of your application at Umeå University. Students who apply from Ethiopia, Eritrea, Ghana, Nigeria, Sudan and Cameroon must have their home university send their transcripts directly to the national admissions office. No student copies are accepted from these countries. The transcripts must be in English, with the exception of transcripts from Scandinavian countries and transcripts that are written in German and French. However, in order to avoid misinterpretation, even these transcripts should be translated into English.
    You must also include documents that prove your level of English proficiency (see the below Q & A).

  • I need to send my document by air courier, what address should I use?

    Please use the following address when sending your documents by air courier:

    University Admissions in Sweden
    FE 20102
    SE-839 87 Östersund

  • When I applied online at with my Swedish personal identification number I did not receive a cover sheet. What do I do?

    he cover sheet is intended for foreign applicants who do not have a personal identification number (personnummer). Students with a Swedish personal identification number need to supply that number on any documentation they submit to University Admissions in Sweden. What you need to do is to make a copy of the confirmation that you will receive when you have successfully applied on-line. Send this copy together with the required documentation. If your documentation is sent by another party make sure that they have your national registration number and application number so that the documentation can be matched to your application. Note: this also applies to applicants with the "T"-number.

  • How do I prove that I meet the English language requirement?

    For countries that are situated outside of the EU/EEA where English is not the official language we generally require an internationally approved test of English as a second Language, such as TOEFL or IELTS. An efficient level of English can sometimes be proven by high school grades in the subject. More information is available under Entry Requirements.

  • What is a certified true copy?

    Copies that are stamped and signed by an official of the school, a public notary or embassy staff, and that attest that the copy has not been manipulated so that it deviates from the original. The official stamp and the name of the person attesting should be clearly legible. Notary Public is not accepted from India, Pakistan, Cameroon or Nigeria. Unless specifically requested, students should never submit original documents. Original documents will not be returned.

  • Can I learn some Swedish during my stay at Umeå University?

    Yes. Swedish Language courses for beginners are offered at Umeå University in the autumn and spring terms. Generally speaking, these courses are only offered to students who are simultaneously studying other courses at Umeå University. Umeå University, in cooperation with Folkuniversitetet (adult educational association), also offers crash courses during the in Swedish culture and language for international students and guests at Umeå University.

  • I have applied online. How do I know if you have received my documents?

    Applicants for Bachelor's programmes will receive confirmation by e-mail if their documents have arrived on time. If the documentation arrives after the first selection, no confirmation will be sent. You can also go to and login to your account.

  • When can I expect to receive a Notification of Admission for my Bachelor's programme?

    See the dates provided on the Key Dates and Deadlines page for information about when you can expect your Notification of Admission. Results are typically sent by mid April (autumn term applications) and early November (spring term applications), if you have applied by August 15th or January 15th respectively.

  • I have received a Letter of Admission, but I have problems understanding it.

    Unfortunately, most of the text that you receive is sent to everyone who applies - even if it is irrelevant. Please note that if you have been admitted to a course/programme the word "Admitted" will be clearly written next to the programme or course name. However, just because you have received the Letter of Admission does not mean that you have been admitted. If the word "Deleted" is written next to the programme or course, then you have not been admitted. The motivation for this is given in the notes.

  • I want to change some of my courses. Can this be done?

    It might be possible to change your courses. However, it all depends on whether there are any free spaces in the course/s that you wish to change to. You must also meet the prerequisites of the new course/s. In order to change courses you will need to hand in a new application form for late application to the Admissions Office. You should also inform the teacher who is responsible for the course that you wish to drop that you do not intend to attend the course.



Contact form

Please be aware that the University is a public authority and that what you write here can be included in an official document. Therefore, be careful if you are writing about sensitive or personal matters in this contact form. If you have such an enquiry, please call us instead. All data will be treated in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation.