Skip to content
Main menu hidden.

Université de Montréal (UdeM)

General guidelines for study levels in Canada

First year courses are often intended for those newly admitted to the university. Therefore, it may be more valuable to choose higher-level courses if you choose to study courses in your main field. For more information, please visit the university's website.

About Université de Montréal (UdeM)

Available places: 2 semester places for Academic Year 2023/2024

Established: 1878
Number of students: 46,700. Together with two affiliated schools, the Ecole Polytechnique and the HEC Montréal is the second largest university in Canada with about 66,000 students
Campus: The university has one main campus and six smaller campuses.
Student life: Several workshops, lectures and exhibitions are arranged in the field of dance, music, film, culture and theatre. It is also possible to carry out several sport activities, for example hockey, mountain climbing, swimming and football.

Times Higher Education ranked UdeM number 108 among the world's top universities in 2018.

About Montréal

Montréal is a French-speaking city (French is the official language) and is known for its diverse inhabitants. With approximately 4 million inhabitants in the metropolitan area, Montréal is one of the largest French-speaking cities in the world and the second largest in Canada. There are a significant minority that is English speaking and many of the people are bilingual. Montréal is the financial centre of Québec and one of Canada's most important cultural centre, hosting several international festivals and events.

Information from Université de Montréal

Restrictions: Language of instruction at Université de Montréal is French, however there is a very limited number of courses offered in English.

Incoming exchange students need an undergraduate diploma in order to apply for graduate courses. 

For courses in French: All students shall have studied French for at least 6 or 7 years and be able to show documented proof of the language. Students also can get an official French proficiency certificate with Alliance Française.

Before applying to Université de Montréal, please contact your International Office for information regarding eligibility in French.

For courses in English:
Master in Comparative Common Law. This program accepts final year undergraduate students. Students wishing to apply must submit an Offical Language Proficiency Score certificate with IELTS 6.5 or TEOFL 90.

Mandatory insurance must be paid by student accepted for exchange. Approximate cost 350 CAD.

Closed programmes:
School of Architecture
Department of Communication
Faculty of Continuing Education
Faculty of Dentistry
Faculty of Pharmacy
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
School of Design
School of Optometry
School of Urban Planning and Landscape Architecture
Faculty of Medicine
Design: Master programs
Courses within engineering
Management and Administration Sciences

Programmes with special requirements:
Faculty of Music

Programmes with competitive selection:
Faculty of Nursing
Faculty of Law

Full time studies (corresponding to 30 hp):
15 credits (undergraduate level)
12 credits (graduate level)

There is a possibility to take one to two language courses along with regular courses.

Course types:
Term course: 3 credits
Full year course: 6 credits

Course levels:
The first digit in the course number corresponds to its level: 1, 2, and 3 refer to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd years at the bachelor level; 6 refers to master's level courses, and 7 refers to doctoral courses.

Academic year:
Autumn term: September–December
Winter term: January–April


Full-time students can apply for On-Campus accommodation. Number of rooms is limited for exchange students, so it is important to apply in time.


Student Exchange Program

Programs of study with particular requirements

Student grants and loans for studies outside of Sweden

You may be entitled to student grants and loans from CSN when studying abroad.

As the cost of living and accommodation may be higher abroad, you can apply for an extra loan known as an additional loan for studies abroad.

You can also apply for an additional loan to cover additional costs, i.e. travel and insurance costs.