Skip to content

Information for students, faculty and staff regarding COVID-19. (Updated: 15 April 2021)


Swedish Personal Identity Number

If you are moving to Sweden from abroad and are planning to live in Sweden for one year or more, you are generally required to be registered in the Swedish Population Register.

When you have been registered you will be given a Swedish personal identity number and be registered as living in a building with an address. More information is found on the Swedish Tax Agency home page.

Temporary personal identity number

If you are not registered in the Swedish Population Register when admitted to studies, you will automatically be given a temporary identity in the admissions system and in the study documentation system (Ladok). The studies you start and complete will be registered in Ladok under your temporary identity.
Applying for a change from temporary identity to Swedish personal identity number (personnummer) at Umeå University

If you later on get registered in the Swedish Population Register, you must apply for a change from your temporary identity to the Swedish personal identity number in order to get your completed studies correctly registered in Ladok. Fill in this form and send it by internal mail to Student Services/Student Records Office, or hand it in to Infocenter.