Skip to content


To use the chat, you need to allow Microsoft Dynamics to use cookies.

Main menu hidden.

Study with disabilities

You can receive support if you have a disability such as dyslexia, ADHD or impaired vision. The purpose with the support is that you should be able to study on equal terms. Learn more about common support measures and how to apply for support.

Closed during summer

1 July - 10 August, coordinators for support for disability are not avaible.

Welcome to contact Infocenter if you have questions about support for disabilities. You can use the contact form further down on this page, or call 090-786 50 00.

Examples of support are assistance with taking notes during lectures, extended time or getting access to a computer running special software during written examinations. To get support, you need to make an application and get a decision. If you have a temporary injury or illness, you are not entitled to the support described on these pages.

Here's how to apply for support

  • Useful information before you apply

    If you have a severe visual impairment, need educational interpreting, transcription or adaptation of premises, you should submit your application for support by the time you apply for education. Otherwise, it is enough that you apply for support once you have been admitted and has accepted your place.

    You do not need to apply for support for disabilities to get access to talking books. Contact the University Library directly.

    In order to be granted this support, you should have a permanent disability. If you have a temporary injury or illness, you can turn to your department and ask if you can get support based on your needs. Contact Infocenter if you need help filling in your application.

  • Apply for support here

    After you have been admitted to a course or study programme and have replied to your offer, you can apply for support via Nais. In your application, you shall describe your disability and how you think it will affect your studies.

    Apply via Nais

    You also need to attach a certificate confirming your disability. Read more about certificates further down on this page.

  • Certificate confirming your disability

    You must attach a certificate confirming your disability when applying. The certificate must be issued by certified healthcare professionals such as a physician, psychologist, audiologist or valid dyslexia investigator. The certificate shall state:

    • how long you have had the disability or had medical contact for your inconvenience,
    • date of investigation or medical contact,
    • how long the disability is expected to last, and
    • a description of your disability and how it affects you.

    The certifier is welcome to contact us if they are uncertain of what must be stated in the certificate.

    If you have not done any investigations, you can turn to 1177 to get more information about how to proceed.

  • When your application is submitted

    Once your application and the required certificate have been received, our coordinator will decide if you are entitled to support for disabilities or not. If your application is granted, you will be contacted by one of our coordinators for a meeting about your support needs.

    After that meeting, the coordinator writes a decision with recommendations about the support you need.

  • What you need to do to get the support you have been granted

    Once you have received a decision on support, please contact the contact person at the department (for freestanding courses) or your study programme as soon as possible. You then go through the recommended support together.

    Depending on what support you have been granted, there are different things you need to do to get them.

    Read more about what to do to get the different support.



The University's work to enable students with disabilities to study on equal terms is described in the procedure.

Procedure for support for disabled students

Contact form

Your message will be sent to Infocenter at Umeå University. They will pass your message on to the person concerned.

The University is a public authority. Messages that you submit here are stored in accordance with Swedish law. Read more at about how we process personal data.