Skip to content
Main menu hidden.

Hate crime, threats and violence

This page is aimed at those of you who have been subjected to threats, hatred or violence and wish to know what support is available. The information applies regardless of if the abuse came from a student, an employee or a person from outside the University.

Suspected criminal offences must be reported to the Police

If you have been subjected to a criminal act, it must always be reported to the Police and investigated by the judicial system. This applies regardless of the person conducting the act is a student, employee or an external party.

To report a crime, please phone 114 14 or visit a police station.

Document what has happened

Note down the time and place, what has happened, what was said and your experience of the situation. These notes may be important in a potential investigation. Also, save any potential letters, emails, text messages and other conversations from the person who mistreated you.

Hatred or threats via email or social media

If you have been subjected to hatred or threats via email or social media, it is beneficial if you document it. Save emails, take a screen shot of content or in other ways document the threat. Writing down dates and times can also be helpful, and to inform your teacher.

Talk to someone

Everyone reacts differently when exposed to threats or acts of hatred or violence. You may feel unsafe and scared, or you may get angry or have troubles remembering what has happened. To many, it is important to talk to someone you have confidence in. There is support available if you have been subjected to this type of crime.

Talk to a teacher

It is important that you talk to your teacher as soon as possible to ensure that you get help in handling the situation. If necessary, your teacher may contact the Human Resources Office, the Security Team or other offices at the University for advice and support.

If your teacher is the person subjecting you to hatred, threats or violence, you can talk to someone else you feel you can confide in. This could be a course coordinator, director of studies or study counsellor.

What happens next?

The head of your department will investigate what has happened. The investigation may show if any security measures are necessary to prevent similar events from occurring again.

 If a police report is filed

Usually, the person who has been subjected to, or detects, a crime is the person who should file the police report since this person can best answer any questions the Police may have of the crime. But if you both agree, your teacher can file the police report on your behalf.

It is an advantage if reports of threats and violence are filed by visiting the police station. This means the investigator can meet the reporter and get a better picture of how you experienced the situation and what happened. Remember that you have the right to ask questions regarding your report to the investigator. This may help if you feel worried.

When a police report has been filed, the Swedish Police Authority will submit a copy of your report to the registry at Umeå University, who in turn will forward the copy to the University Security Team. If the police report includes information on which department, office or equivalent the report concerns, the Security Team will contact the relevant manager for information.

If the case goes to trial

It is beneficial if you and your teacher discuss what support you wish or need to receive before, during and after a potential trial. For instance, you can bring your teacher, a friend or family member as support during the trial. The Swedish Crime Victim Compensation and Support Authority (Brottsoffermyndigheten) has more information about how a trial works and what support you can get.

Learn more about crime victim support from the Swedish Police Authority.

Crime Victim Support

Available support

Student Health Service

Feelgood – conflict management in student groups
Phone +46 90 17 63 60

Umeå social services for questions regarding violence, addiction, accommodation, finances or concerns revolving around children.
Phone +46 090-16 10 02.

Youth Health Services, UMO – for anyone under 23 years (information in Swedish)

Healthcare Guide 1177, makes first assessments of health issues
Phone +46 771-11 77 00
Or contact your nearest healthcare centre

Psychiatric emergency services and assessment in Umeå, if a person poses a threat to themself or to others. Open at all hours of the day.
Phone +46 90-785 65 00

The University Chaplaincy offers counselling for everyone at Umeå University, regardless of philosophy or religious beliefs. 
Visiting address: the Natural Sciences Building, Campus Umeå



Latest update: 2024-07-09