The Department of Ecology and Environmental Science offers a position as Professor in Ecology, with special focus on terrestrial ecosystems or organisms, to initiate, conduct, lead, and develop research within the area, and also contribute actively to teaching at both undergraduate and graduate levels. The deadline for the application is 2019-05-15.
Work description for the position
This professorship will, during the first six years, include 75 % research within Ecology with a focus on terrestrial ecosystems or organisms. The remaining 25 % include teaching activities, such as course coordination and examination on undergraduate and graduate levels within Ecology, and administrative duties at the department. After this first six year period, the balance between research and teaching may change.
Competence profile and qualifications for the position
To be qualified for the position, you have to show both scientific and pedagogical skills. Criteria for evaluating the applicants will firstly be based on scientific skills and secondly on pedagogical skills. In addition, abilities to develop and lead activities and staff at a university level will be evaluated as well as the ability to organize education at the undergraduate and graduate levels and to organize research within the subject area of the position and with other subject disciplines.
Scientific proficiency is demonstrated through independent research at a high international level, the ability to plan and lead research, the ability to competitively obtain external research funding, and the ability to communicate research. Criteria will include breadth, depth, originality, and productivity in research.
The candidate should have a strong research record in Ecology with special focus on terrestrial ecosystems or organisms and have a documented experience of developing research programs of high international standard. It is of merit if the research has a focus on biodiversity, ecological processes, conservation, or evolution.
Pedagogical proficiency is demonstrated by documented experiences in planning, implementation, examination and evaluation of teaching within Ecology and related fields, and by a reflective approach to student learning and your own role as a teacher. Documented experience of teaching and supervision at both graduate and undergraduate levels is required. Documented experience in developing courses and curricula is a merit. The ability to teach in Swedish or English is a requirement. Additional criteria include the ability to adjust teaching and examination in relation to expected learning outcomes, experiences in collaborating with society, and development of teaching material and environments.
The position is placed in Umeå. Umeå University is actively promoting female professors, so we encourage female applicants. Initial support for the position will be available to promote rapid establishment at the Department.
The application should preferably be written in English with the following parts:
- A personal letter including contact information
- A CV with academic and professional merits
- A publication list
- A written statement about your scientific achievements (see instructions in the link below)
- A written statement about your pedagogical achievements (see instruction in the link below)
- A written statement about experiences with developing and leading activities and staff
- A written statement about collaborations with society and popular science activities
- A plan for future research within the offered position (max 6 pages)
- Verified copies of relevant documents that support your qualifications and achievements
- A list and copies of up to ten scientific publications relevant for the position that are numbered according to the publication list
- Two reference persons including their contact information
You will find instructions for the application here:
The application should be done through our e-recruitment system Varbi, and the deadline for the application is 2019-05-15.
More information is given by professor Jon Moen (deputy head of department, +46-90-7869647, email@example.com).
+46 90-786 96 47
+46 90-786 53 65
+46 90-786 52 96
+46 90-786 54 31