Umeå University is the place where the discovery of CRISPR-Cas9 was discovered, that later received the Nobel prize in chemistry.
The position will be carried out in Dr Fors Connolly´s research group, that is interdisciplinary with clinicians, statisticians, epidemiologists and biomedical researchers. Recently, the research group of Fors Connolly published an epidemiological paper in The Lancet regarding the association between COVID-19 and acute cardiovascular events. The research focus is on risk factors of infection with and severe disease with SARS-CoV-2, Influenza virus and Puumala virus, acute and long-term complications and much more. The research has a translational focus with large-scale population studies to clinical studies to laboratory studies.
At the Dept. of Clinical Microbiology, another research group published a paper in New England Journal of Medicine. There is therefore world-class research being performed both in the group of Fors Connolly but also at the department of Clinical Microbiology, and you are most welcome to join us.
The job entails work with large national multi-registry data for the whole Swedish population with data on infection with SARS-CoV-2, Puumala virus and Influenza viruses from The Public Health Agency, Sweden, and socioeconomic and comorbidity data from Statistics Sweden (SCB); the Swedish National Board of Health and Welfare, Social Insurance Agency and more. The studies entail large-scale epidemiological and statistical analyses to determine multiple facets of infectious diseases and which acute and long-complications are associated with viral infectious diseases.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Undertaking independent statistical and epidemiological analyses depending on the project
- Developing machine learning models using large relational datasets.
- Writing of scientific manuscripts, and collaboration with others as part of an interdisciplinary team.
- Data management and visualisation
- Supervision of students
- Contributing to writing funding applications
There is the possibility to independently perform your own statistical and epidemiological analyses of the data, where you lead your own project if you have the motivation and ideas to do so. You will be part of an international team of medical doctors, statisticians, epidemiologists and biomedical researchers, with collaboration partners in Denmark and Finland. Therefore, it is important with good communication and collaboration skills.
For this employment the specific requirements are:
- A doctorate degree (or a master’s degree with a minimum of three years professional experience) in epidemiology, medical statistics, computational biology, health data science or similar field
- Extensive knowledge in epidemiology, medical statistics, computational biology or health data science
- Extensive experience in handling large data sets using SQL
- Knowledge and experience working with machine learning algorithms (supervised and unsupervised)
- Substantial experience with statistical software such as R, Python, SPSS, STATA, SAS or similar
It is a merit if you have:
- Strong data visualisation skills
- Experience with multiple statistical and data science methodologies to answer complex health research questions
- Experience with family-based study design
- Good knowledge of NoSQL
- Good knowledge regarding Swedish or Nordic registry data
- Experience with mathematical models (e.g. agent-based models and compartmental models)
- Experience with R Shiny apps for data visualization
- Good knowledge of Git for version control
- Experience with cloud computing services
- Experience handling large nationwide registry data
Great emphasis is placed on the ability to collaborate in multi-disciplinary teams and the ability to work independently and be thorough. Furthermore, it is also a merit if you are proficient in Swedish or other Nordic language.
Full time position, two years – start according to agreement
The application should contain:
In one A4 page highlight your specific qualifications and motivation for the position
Curriculum vitae including full list of publications
Attested copies of relevant exam certificates
Letters of recommendation and name of at least 2 reference persons.
Other relevant information regarding your competences
The application is made electronically (via the system Varbi). Last day to apply is:22-01-12
For questions please contact:
Anne-Marie Fors Connolly, BSc MSc MD PhD, Department of Clinical Microbiology
Umeå University wants to offer an equal environment where open dialogue between people with different backgrounds and perspectives lay the foundation for learning, creativity and development. We welcome people with different backgrounds and experiences to apply for the current employment.
We kindly decline offers of recruitment and advertising help.