Skip to content
Main menu hidden.

Study abroad

Do you want to challenge yourself and gain invaluable experiences? Get to know a new country, culture, and make new friends? Strengthen your CV with international experiences? Take the opportunity to study abroad!

Studying abroad means so much more than just studies! To live in another country with a different culture broadens horizons, builds confidence and increases tolerance and understanding. In addition, studying abroad is a merit for the future. It is an experience you do not want to be without!

Two ways to study abroad

If you want to spend part of your studies abroad there are two ways: you can either go as an exchange student or organise your studies on your own as a so called freemover.

Study as an exchange student

To study as an exchange student means that you apply for one of the exchange places Umeå University has through agreements with partner universities around the world. Which countries and universities you can go to depends on what you study here in Umeå. In the database Solemove you can search among the agreements Umeå University has with foreign universities.

Exchange studies

Organise studies on your own, freemover

You can choose to arrange your studies abroad on your own and not as an exchange student. You go as a so-called freemover and have to arrange all practical matters by yourself.

Organise studies on your own


If you want to study abroad you may need to apply for a scholarship to pay for your living expenses in the country you are travelling to. More information about where to apply for a scholarship can be found on Before departure.

Study abroad with a disability

If you have received a decision on support for a disability during your studies at Umeå University, you can also receive support for studies abroad. 

Talk to the international contact person at your department about what possibilities for studies abroad are available. Also contact your coordinator at Umeå University in good time (4–6 months before you plan to study abroad).
If you want to study abroad at a university with whom Umeå University does not have an agreement, as a so called freemover, you need to organize support measures by yourself.

You are responsible for arranging other support that you may need. This includes for example transportation, physiotherapy, psychologist, wheelchair, or personal computer with custom programmes.

If you go on exchange or traineeship within the Erasmus+ programme and you have a permanent or long-term disability including disability caused by physical or mental illness, you might be eligible for extra funding.

Read more regarding exchange studies within the Erasmus+ programme.

Read more regarding traineeship within the Erasmus+ programme.

Latest update: 2024-03-14