Information for students, faculty and staff regarding COVID-19. (Updated: 1 October 2020)

Skip to content

Tuition, fees and funding

With a few exceptions, all citizens of countries outside of the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland are required to pay application and tuition fees for education at Swedish universities at the undergraduate and master's level.

FAQ about Covid-19

If you have questions related to the current situation due to Covid-19, please visit our FAQ regarding Covid-19

Application fee 

Students with citizenship in a country: outside the EU/ EEA, or Switzerland, will be required to pay an application fee of SEK 900. The application fee must be paid by the deadline indicated at the University Admissions website  in order for your university application to be processed.

Students pay one application fee for each semester they submit an application for, regardless of how many courses or programmes they have applied to in that semester. For questions regarding your application fee, please visit the University Admissions website.

Tuition fee

Students with citizenship in a country outside the EU/ EEA, or Switzerland, will be required to pay tuition fee for courses or programmes at Umeå University.

The tuition fee levels vary depending on the course and programme. Visit our website for a summary of the tuition fee levels.

Information on tuition fees for specific courses and programmes can be found on the website of each course and programme and on the University Admissions website.

The tuition rates for degree programmes and full-time studies range from SEK 93,000 per year to 364,500 per year, depending on the field of study. 

Tuition fee exemptions

In general, individuals who are citizens of countries outside of the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland are required to pay application and tuition fees. There are, however, some exceptions to this general rule.

On the University Admissions website you can find more information about who is required to pay for their studies.

Exchange students (students attending Umeå University as part of an exchange agreement) are not required to pay tuition fees.

Citizens of the following EU/EEA countries do not pay application or tuition fees: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland*, United Kingdom

* Switzerland is not an EU/EEA country, yet its nationals are exempt.

Methods of payment for tuition fees

Tuition fee invoices are sent out via email, along with payment instructions, after the admission process is completed. Invoices are sent to admitted students only.

The tuition fee is to be paid via an international bank transfer (wire-transfer). Further instructions will be provided in the invoice email. Before making your payment, we encourage you to carefully read the Tuition fee payment Terms and Conditions

Payment of your tuition fee is a requirement for beginning your studies. In case of non-payment, you will lose your place in the course/programme and you will not be able to register for courses and participate in any lectures until the payment is made in full. The latest date that you can start your studies is announced in your Notification of Selection Results at the University Admissions website.

Upon payment you will be sent a payment receipt via email. The Swedish Migration Agency is also notified the same day. Please note that it may take up to a week for an international payment to reach us.

Application for residence permit

The first instalment of the tuition fee must be paid before your application for a residence permit can be processed.

The Swedish Migration Agency processes all the residence permit applications of non-EU/EEA citizens visiting Sweden. Per their protocol an application for residence permit for studies will not be processed if the first instalment tuition is not paid.

Further information related to the residence permit is available on the Migration Agency's webpages.


Frequently asked questions about application and tuition fees