Skip to content
Main menu hidden.

Frequently asked questions about theses and posting

Find answers to the most common questions about theses and posting of doctoral theses.

How do I book my posting?

When the library receives the decision on your public defence, we book your posting and send you more information about the posting.

If you wish to hold a posting ceremony, you book it via the form Book a posting ceremony. We need your booking request at least 1 week before your preferred date.

About Posting and posting ceremony

It is now possible to book posting ceremonies at the University Library. The earliest date for ceremonies is 1 October.

How do I get an ISBN for my thesis?

You order an ISBN (International Standard Book Number) from the library using the form Order ISBN.

How do I get an ISSN for my thesis?

ISSN (International Standard Serial Number) is administered by the faculty or department publishing the series. Contact the publishing faculty or department to obtain the ISSN and serial number in the series.

One of the articles in my thesis is published with a Creative Commons license. Do I need permission from the journal to publish that article in my thesis?

No, you don't need permission. Articles with a Creative Commons license can freely be republished if the original source is cited.

Creative Commons

What do I do if I want to use a picture or illustration made by someone else on the cover of my thesis?

When you want to use someone else's work, for example a picture or illustration, as a rule you need permission from the copyright holder. The need for explicit permission from all copyright holders applies when there are no other explicit licenses or agreements that allow you to use the work the way you want.

When using a picture or illustration on the thesis cover, the creators should be named and credited on the information page, the second page of the thesis. The name of the work can be written after the creators' names.

Example of the contents of an information page:

This work is protected by the Swedish Copyright Legislation (Act 1960:729)

Dissertation for PhD


Cover image: Anna Svensson ["name of work"]
Electronic version available at:

Printed by: [printing house, information added by publisher]
Umeå, Sweden 2021

I want to use a picture or illustration with Creative Commons-license on the cover of my thesis

There are different types of Creative Commons licenses (CC licenses). It is important that you follow the license that applies for the work that you want to use. Read more here:

Creative Commons

When you want to use a picture or illustration with a CC license you need to give proper credit the creator or creators of the work. The following information needs to be included in order to give proper credit to the creators:

  • Name of the work.
  • Link to the original work.
  • Name of the creators (and preferably links to them if available).
  • The specific license of the work, including link to the license information.

Digital version of your thesis

The information in the digital version of your thesis might be structured and linked like this:

Cover image: Thorsten Bosch, “Coala in tree”. Licensed under CC-BY 2.0

Printed version of your thesis

It may be impossible to fit all of the links into the information in the printed version. Therefore it is enough to link to the work, since the license information can be found there. The printed information might be structured like this:

Cover image: Thorsten Bosch, “Coala in tree” Licensed under CC-BY 2.0

If you have made modifications to the picture

You can modify the picture if it has a CC license that allows this. This can be done with work that does not have the condition ”ND” (“No derivative work”). If you make modifications, you need to provide information on how the work has been altered in your license information.

Cover image: Thorsten Bosch, “Coala in tree”. Licensed under CC-BY 2.0 / text has been added to original.

If your modifications are so significant that the result is to be considered a new work, you should state license information for the new work. Read more here:

Best practices for attribution

I have been authorized to postpone the electronic publication of my thesis. Do I still need to register it in DiVA three days before my posting date?

Yes, you must register you thesis in DiVA at least three working days prior to your posting date.

The library sets an embargo for the publication of the thesis in accordance with the decision from the faculty. The fulltext of your thesis will be published and visible in DiVA after the embargo.

Information about the thesis, abstract and posting sheet included, will be visible in DiVA on your posting date.

Follow the instructions at Register and publish your thesis.

Should I register manuscripts that are part of my thesis, but have not yet been published?

Yes. All papers, unpublished manuscripts as well as published articles, must be registered in DiVA.

Follow the instructions at Manual: Compilation thesis.

Can I replace the fulltext in DiVA with an updated version (after the posting)?

No. If you discover errors in the thesis after it has been posted, you can make a list with corrections (an errata sheet). Send the errata sheet to and we will upload it to DiVA.

Can the library help me register my thesis in DiVA?

It is best if you do the registration yourself since you have the best knowledge of your thesis and its defence.

Follow the instructions at Register and publish your thesis.

If you have any questions regarding the registration you are always welcome to contact the library. We can schedule a meeting if you wish.

Contact the library

Should the published compilation thesis contain all connected works making up the complete work?

The parts of the thesis are connected differently to the comprehensive summary (“kappa”) depending on the format.

Printed thesis

The printed thesis is to contain both the comprehensive summary and the works connected to the summary (usually articles).

In order to include published works, you need to take copyright and licenses into account. If the article is published with open access, for example with a Creative Commons license, you may include it in the published thesis without asking for permission from another party.

If you have transferred the rights to your work to a publisher, you need permission to include the work in your thesis. The permission might already be acquired through the signed agreement, or you can apply for permission on the publisher’s web site.

Unpublished works

Make sure you include relevant unpublished works in the printed version of your thesis.

Digital thesis published in DiVA

The digital version of your thesis is registered and published in DiVA. The comprehensive summary is published in full text as a PDF file in the metadata post describing the thesis. The full text PDF only contains the comprehensive summary. Connected works (usually articles) are to be registered separately in DiVA, preferably before you register the thesis. When all parts of the thesis are registered in DiVA, you connect the posts to the registration of the thesis containing the summary. As yet published works also need to be registered in DiVA and connected to your thesis registration.

When registering works in DiVA you can include them in the registration by adding full text files. In order to do this with published works, either the work needs to be published open access, for example with a Creative Commons-license, or you need permission from other rights holders to parallel publish the work.

Creative Commons

Parallel publishing

Contact and support

Book professional training and researcher consultations

Book training and consultation sessions about scholarly publishing, research data management and DiVA.

Contact the library

Contact us via form, chat or phone. Here you will also find addresses and opening hours.