Skip to content
Main menu hidden.

Dalhousie University

General guidelines for study levels in Canada

First year courses are often adapted to those newly admitted to the university. Therefore, it may be more valuable to choose higher-level courses if you choose to study courses in your main field. For more information, please visit the university's website.

About Dalhousie University

Available places: 0 places for Spring semester 2025.

Established: 1818, one of Canada's oldest universities
Number of students: 19,000
Student life: The university offers an active campus life with a recreational centre and several student unions and student clubs. The fitness centre Dalplex offers more than 35 group training classes, a squash court and a climbing wall.
Dalhousie Arts Center has several theatre scenes, an art gallery and a sculpture park.

About Halifax

Halifax is situated by the Atlantic coast in Canada. The city has over 400 000 inhabitants and is the capital of the province Nova Scotia. There is a wide range of entertainment in the form of museums, theaters, festivals, shopping,sporting events, pubs and cafes. Since the city is so close to the ocean many take the opportunity to practice water sports such as surfing and sailing, especially during the summer months.

Information from Dalhousie University

Closed programmes:

All programmes/courses on graduate level.

Programmes/courses at the following departments/faculties are also closed for exchange students:

Faculty of Health
Continuing Education
Faculty of Law
The School of Planning

Programmes/Courses with limited access: Most Engineering classes.

Full-time studies on undergraduate level (corresponding to 30 hp): 2.5 credits/15 credit hours

Course types: Term course: 0.5 credits (or 3 credit hours)

Course levels:
1000: 1st year courses
2000: 2nd year courses
3000: 3rd year courses
4000: 4th year courses

Academic year:
Autumn term: September–December
Winter term: January–April


If students are coming to Dalhousie on exchange for the fall term only (September–December), unfortunately there is no space available in residence during this period - see off-campus housing options. Students who come to Dalhousie for the winter term only (January–April) may inquire with the Residence office directly about availability.

Student fees and Health Insurance 

Exchange students are responsible to cover costs for a U-Pass (transit pass), residence fees and any other additional charges such as lab fees, locker rentals, etc. International Students are also required to get both the Health and Dental plan and the International Student Health Plan. If they already have comparable health & dental coverage, they may be able to opt-out.


Exchange to Dalhousie

Course information

What can I study?

Student grants and loans for studies outside of Sweden

You may be entitled to student grants and loans from CSN when studying abroad.

As the cost of living and accommodation may be higher abroad, you can apply for an extra loan known as an additional loan for studies abroad.

You can also apply for an additional loan to cover additional costs, i.e. travel and insurance costs. 

Latest update: 2024-05-23