Skip to content
Main menu hidden.

University of Manitoba

General guidelines for study levels in Canada

First year courses are often adapted to those newly admitted to the university. Therefore, it may be more valuable to choose higher-level courses if you choose to study courses in your main field. For more information, please visit the university's website.

About University of Manitoba

Available places: 4 semester places for the Academic Year 2024/25. 

Established: 1877 which makes it Canada's first university in the Western provinces.
Number of students:
The university has three campuses: Fort Garry which is the main campus, and Bannatyne and William Norrie Centre.
Student life:
There are more than 100 student clubs and organisations to engage in different areas of interest, for example: religion, culture, and politics. For those interested in sports, there are several opportunities in the different sport centres, for example volleyball, climbing, tennis and badminton.

About Winnipeg

Winnipeg has about 753,000 citizens and is the capital of the province Manitoba. This multicultural city hosts annual concerts and festivals, including the Festival du Voyageur, the Winnipeg Folk Festival, the Jazz Winnipeg Festival, the Winnipeg Fringe Theatre Festival, and Folklorama.

Winnipeg is one of the most affordable cities in Canada.

Information from University of Manitoba

Graduate-level admission (Master) is competitive. Completion of a 4 year undergraduate program is required prior to the start of a graduate level exchange. Students who completed a three-year undergraduate program are not eligible for the Graduate-level admission. They are eligible to apply for the undergraduate program to take courses at 1000 to 4000 level (highest). Minimum GPA of 3.0 (B or equivalent) in the last two full years of study is also required for graduate studies and students may need to meet additional criteria.

English Language Proficiency Requirements: Students are required to provide one of English Language Test Proficiency results at the time of application. Students can request for an English Language requirement waiver, instead of the test but there is no guarantee that it will be granted.

Faculties available for exchange students
Agricultural and Food Sciences (includes Nutrition) 
School of Art (Fine Arts)                   
Arts (Humanities, Social Sciences, etc.) 
Environment, Earth, and Resources Graduate Studies – for Graduate applicants only 
Kinesiology and Recreation Management 
Social Work* 
(*Available but limited)

Programmes/courses at the following departments/faculties are closed for exchange students:
Health Sciences
Social Work
Honours courses in Psychology and English
Education (pedagogy)
Computer Science 
I.H. Asper School of Business: Accounting and Finance, Actuarial, Business Administration, Entrepreneurship, Leadership, Human Resources, Marketing, Management Information Systems, Supply Chain Management

Highlighted courses for exchange students: 
Indigenous Studies 
Environmental Science & Studies 
Political Studies 
Women & Gender Studies 
Kinesiology & Recreation Management 
Faculty of Music 
School of Fine Art

Full time studies on undergraduate level (corresponding to 30 hp): 15 credits

Course types:
Term course: 3 credits
Full year course: 6 credits

Course levels:
1000: introductory/entry level
2000: second level
3000: third level
4000: fourth level
5000: pre-masters

Academic year:
Autumn term: September–December
Winter term: January–April


The options for housing are Residence (on-campus dorms) or Homestay. There are several options for Residence, from private rooms with meal plans to a shared suite with private rooms without meal plans.


Exchange students will be required to pay student organization fees (approximately $100-150 per term) and potentially field trip and lab fees, if applicable.


For students from partner universities

Course information

Student grants and loans for studies outside of Sweden

You may be entitled to student grants and loans from CSN when studying abroad.

As the cost of living and accommodation may be higher abroad, you can apply for an extra loan known as an additional loan for studies abroad.

You can also apply for an additional loan to cover additional costs, i.e. travel and insurance costs. 

Latest update: 2023-10-14