Skip to content
Main menu hidden.

Organise studies abroad on your own

Do you want to study at a university that we do not have an exchange agreement with? If so, you can organise your studies abroad on your own. You decide where to go and how long you'll be there. Remember that you have to arrange everything on your own so be sure to prepare carefully.

Think about what you want to do when you come back to Sweden, whether you want to study or start working. Keep in mind that some professions require you to have a Swedish license to practice in Sweden.

What help can you get from Umeå University?

If organise studies abroad on your own at a university that Umeå University has an exchange agreement with, the International Office or your department may be able to help with some information. You must contact the university by yourself to submit your application.

If you intend to arrange for studies at a university that we do not have an exchange agreement with, Umeå University has no information to provide you with.

Can you get financial aids for studies?

Normally, only Swedish citizens are entitled to student aid for studies outside Sweden. For more information about the requirements, go to:
Studies outside Sweden

Transfer your credits

To help the accreditation of courses you have completed at another university, you should always consult your course selection with your study counsellor or programme coordinator before you go. There is no guarantee that you will be able to transfer all the courses you choose to study at the foreign university. You apply to have your credits transferred when you return to Umeå, the accreditation does not happen automatically.
Transfer your credits

Latest update: 2019-12-02