Skip to content

Information for students, faculty and staff regarding COVID-19. (Updated: 11 May 2021)



(Last updated: 5 May 2021, 10:50)

No new travel grant calls until May 2021 at the earliest

All foundations tied to Umeå University, including the Kempe Foundations, can make new calls for travel grants from May 2021 at the earliest. However, please note that new recommendations of a later date for calls for travel grants may be deemed necessary depending on how the travel situation has progressed due to the spread of COVID-19.

Travelling and business travels

Avoid travelling, both within and outside of the Västerbotten County. If you must travel, it is important that all travelling is carried out in a safe way and that you limit your contacts with new individuals to the extent possible.

At Umeå University, extensive restrictiveness must be taken regarding business travel. Online options must always be the primary solution.

International travels

Restrictiveness applies to international travels as well. Online options must always be the primary solution. Members of staff, students and other travellers are urged to follow the guidelines and recommendations of the Public Health Agency of Sweden and the Swedish Ministry of Foreign Affairs regarding domestic and international travels, as well as take onboard any potential local guidelines and restrictions.

Below we have tried to summarise the current guidelines regarding travels to and from Sweden.

Leaving Sweden

Negative COVID-19 test for entry into another country

Some countries require incoming travellers to show a negative test result upon entry into the country. And the test results need to be recent. Testing in Sweden is usually only carried out on individuals who show symptoms of disease.

If you are a student travelling home after studies at Umeå University and your home country requests a certificate of a negative COVID test for entry into the country, you should turn to a private care provider who issues travel certificates.

Procedure for taking a test and obtain a travel certificate:
Contact a private healthcare provider who issues travel certificates. At the moment, and to our knowledge, there are two such healthcare providers in Umeå, SVEA Vaccin and Vaccina. Please note that if you do not have a Swedish personal identity number, you must turn to SVEA Vaccin.

Plan your travels well

It is important that you plan your travels well if the test is to be less than 72 hours old when entering your destination. This means that it is appropriate to take the test at the beginning of the week and then plan travels within three days. Please bear in mind that it takes approximately 48 hours for your test results to arrive. Avoid planning travels on a Sunday, Monday or Tuesday as you will find it difficult to show a sufficiently fresh test result since tests are usually not analysed during weekends.

Travel safely

You are obliged to follow the Public Health Agency of Sweden's guidelines when travelling and avoid unnecessary travelling. Read the authority's information: If you are planning to travel

Also read Tests for travel certificates (Public Health Agency of Sweden)

Please note!

Make sure to inform yourself of the university's rules and guidelines, Swedish national and local guidelines, and the guidelines at the destination before planning an international journey.

The Swedish Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ advices against non-essential travel

The Swedish Ministry of Foreign Affairs (UD) currently advices against all non-essential travel to all countries outside the EU/EEA/Schengen area. The decision remains in effect until 15 July 2021, but may be extended.

Advice against travel (UD)

Entering Sweden

Temporary entry ban into Sweden

There is a temporary ban on non-essential travel to Sweden from all countries except from EU countries and a few others. The entry ban has been extended a few times but is now valid until 31 May.

Currently, all employees and stipends/scholarship holders (including their family members) are exempt from the entry ban and can travel to Sweden if they can show a valid residence permit spanning over 3 months or more. Entry into Sweden for reasons of studying are also exempt from the ban.

Despite all exceptions, however, there is now a general ban on entry for foreign citizens who cannot present a negative test result upon entry. And all travellers need to get tested and self-isolate upon arrival in Sweden. Read more under the headlines below.

The regulations, restrictions and recommendations can change fast, so all travellers are recommended to stay updated with the Swedish authorities.

Visit the following page, but be aware that more recent updates can be available elsewhere:

Learn about the temporary entry ban (Government Offices of Sweden)

Negative COVID-19 test required for entry into Sweden

Foreign nationals have to present a negative test result for ongoing COVID-19 infection upon entry into Sweden, regardless of where they are arriving from. The aim is to reduce the risk of spreading the new variants of the COVID-19 virus that have been detected in a number of countries. This applies until 31 May 2021, but can be extended. Some exceptions apply.

For details about testing and entering Sweden, please visit the Swedish Government’s website. Please note that the conditions and exceptions can change, so please stay updated on reliable sources.

Information regarding negative COVID-19 test required for entry into Sweden

Get tested and self-isolate after your arrival in Sweden 

If you enter Sweden from abroad, you are recommended to get tested for COVID-19 as soon as possible after arriving in Sweden, and then again five days after your arrival. While you are waiting for testing and your test results, you must act as if you were infected with COVID-19 – this means to stay home, avoid close contact with others and maintain good hygiene.

Self-isolate for at least seven days after arriving in Sweden. If you do not develop symptoms or test positive during the seven days after your arrival in Sweden you can move about in society, but you have to follow the guidelines and recommendations that apply to everyone. 

If you got tested in connection with your departure for Sweden, you do not have to get tested again in connection with your arrival, but you should still get tested five days after your arrival. 

The recommendation to get tested applies whichever country you have visited and applies to both citizens and non-citizens.

If you have previously tested positive for antibodies you are still recommended to get tested twice according to the procedure above. 

Learn more about getting tested when entering Sweden (Public Health Agency of Sweden)

General information about travelling during COVID-19

How to act if planning to travel

You have a great personal responsibility to prevent the spread of infection when travelling. Do not travel if you are ill or have even mild symptoms. During your travel and on your destination, you should limit new close contacts, and meet in small groups. You must make plans for how to avoid getting infected and how you can avoid infecting others. 

If you are planning to travel (Public Health Agency of Sweden)

Protect yourself and others from spread of infection (Public Health Agency of Sweden)

Travel insurance

The Swedish Legal, Financial and Administrative Agency has gathered information regarding travel insurance for students and employees.

Read more about travel insurance

Studies abroad during the pandemic

Staff working with exchange studies can learn more from Internationaliseringsforum or on the COVID-19 webpage Studies abroad during COVID-19.