Why did you choose to enrol in your degree programme at Umeå University?
– One of my friend was applying universities abroad and she told me how great the universities are in Sweden. After thousand times searching online, it showed Umeå University would be my best choice: interesting courses in the International Business Programme, quite an international environment, good reputation in China, etc.
What do you like most about your programme?
– The best part is the structure of my programme which is four years in total, include three year bachelor courses and one year master courses. By finishing the whole programme you can not only gain professional knowledge of business administration, but also achieve three attractive degrees that are "Civilekonomexamen" (Degree of Master of Science in Business and Economics, Specialisation: International Business), Degree of Bachelor of Science, Degree of Master of Science (one year).
Moreover, in my programme each student gets the chance to apply "study abroad" for one semester or a year, which is a great opportunity for students head to explore more different cultures. Next semester, I'm going to do my exchange study in Germany. I really appreciate this wonderful chance from my programme.
What is the most interesting thing you learned in your programme or courses so far?
– I would like to say that besides the academic knowledge I got from the lectures, the most interesting thing that I have learned is how to do group work as a team with people from different backgrounds.
What do you do when you are not studying?
– I joined a local samba dance team. We practice dancing every week and sometimes we give performances in festivals. Besides, I am also taking hip-pop dancing courses in folk university. I enjoy enriching my life with the things I love.
What is your impression of Umeå and the surrounding areas?
– The most impressive thing of Umeå for me is the fresh air with a special smell. It makes me feel Umeå.
What do you find as the biggest cultural difference, both socially and educationally, from your country with Sweden?
– Actually, it's quite different. Here everything is "slow". People can wait, I mean give others time or wait in a queue. In China, individuals are always "in a hurry". The education here inspires students to learn by discussing with peers and teachers. While in China students are more likely to just listen to the teachers.
What you would say or what advice would you give to another international student thinking of attending Umeå University?
– Do not hesitate! Excellent education, best people, amazing landscape, Umeå University will give you the best experience ever.
What are your career aspirations?
– Firstly, I would like to continue to finish my master's degree. My career direction is to work in the financial industry. I prefer to have international working experiences, especially in a third country. Of course, more and more Swedish companies are offering opportunities to international students, so I also hope I can grab the chance.