Research group The purpose of UGPS is to conduct internationally successful research in a broad multidisciplinary perspective on periods before 1800 in collaboration with international research groups and networks focusing on political culture, gender and emotions.
UGPS are focusing on three main themes:
• political culture – attitudes, beliefs and values underpinning political systems, practices and relations
• gender – constructions of differences and relations of power
• emotions – expressions, repertoires and strategies
These themes should be taken in a broad sense, including a wide range of disciplinary perspectives from literature, art, linguistics, history, archaeology, religion, history of ideas, philosophy, and political science.
A more specific aim is to place the Swedish historical and cultural development in a broad international perspective or alternatively study how global phenomena have affected Sweden during different historical epochs.
The long and short-term aims of UGPS include:
• Increasing younger researchers' competence to do research on premodern sources
• Conducting successful research on an international level
• Increasing the international publishing of results
• Applying for external funding for interdisciplinary research projects
• Organizing and participating in conferences and workshops
• Developing and expanding existing research networks
• Connecting international scholars to UGPS through networks and visiting fellowships
• Encouraging exchange of doctoral students and researchers
• Creating an international reference group to enrich the group's work in the long run
Books, chapters, articles and other publications from UGPS.
Get updated on the latest news.
Upcoming seminars, conferences and workshops at UGPS.
Listen to the UGPS podcast series.
Learn more about our visiting scholars and invited guests.
Learn more about past workshops and conferences.
Presentation of the staff of our research group.
Our associated researchers who contribute to the research group.
See other research networks within the same field of interest.