Skip to content
Main menu hidden.

City University of Hong Kong (College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences)

Only students at the Faculty of Social Sciences at Umeå University can apply for exchange places at City University of Hong Kong’s College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences (CLASS). If you are a student from another department, please refer to City University of Hong Kong.  

Available places: 4 semester places for the Academic Year 2024/2025.

Established: 1984
Number of students:
Student life:
The university offers exchange students the opportunity to join their Buddies Club that organises social activities, for example: city tours, bike tours, museum visits and BBQ parties. The Buddies Club organise regular gatherings for all CLASS students, local and exchange, where they can meet and learn about different cultures through one another. They organise activities such as a BBQ, city tours, cultural events, and many more! 

CityU is ranked no. 55 by the QS World University Rankings, and no. 8 by the QS Asian University Rankings. 

About Hong Kong

Hong Kong, located on the south coast of China, was a British crown colony up until 1997 when it was returned to China where it now constitutes a special administrative region. The city has over 7 million citizens and the official languages are English and Chinese. There are no older buildings in the central area, instead Hong Kong is characterised by modern architecture.

In 2018, Hong Kong was ranked no. 18 in QS Best student Cities.

Information from CityU Hong Kong (College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences)

Restrictions: Exchange students may only apply for courses at the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences. This agreement is only open to students at the Faculty of Social Sciences (Samhällsvetenskapliga fakulteten) at Umeå University. If you are a student from another department, please refer to (länk till det andra avtalet - Engelska)

Students must provide their final grades/diploma from upper secondary school (Gymnasieskola) which presents a minimum of Grade C (old grading scale: VG) in English 6/English course B.   

Available courses can be found at:

Course information

Full time studies (corresponding to 30 hp): 15 credits

Course types: 3 credits (term course)

Course levels:
Associate degree: A1, A2
Bachelor degree: B1, B2, B3, B4
Postgraduate: P5, P6

Undergraduate exchange students are recommended to choose courses specified as level B in the course syllabus.

Academic year:
Autumn term: September–December
Spring term: January–May


Exchange students will need to submit an online application for housing on campus. There is limited on-campus accommodation available and therefore no guarantee for a residence place. CityU has an Accommodation Website, where students can find information about student housing, as well as how to find off-campus accommodation.


International Exchange Programme
Disability Services
Student Visa

Student grants and loans for studies outside of Sweden

You may be entitled to student grants and loans from CSN when studying abroad.

As the cost of living and accommodation may be higher abroad, you can apply for an extra loan known as an additional loan for studies abroad.

You can also apply for an additional loan to cover additional costs, i.e. travel and insurance costs. 

Latest update: 2023-10-16