Skip to content
Main menu hidden.

Frequently asked questions (incoming exchange students)

On this page you’ll find frequently asked questions related to exchange studies at Umeå University.

We also recommend you to read through our International Student Guide. It includes practical information; for example immigration regulations, the Orientation programme, where to turn if you fall ill, cost of living, and other good-to-knows about your stay in Umeå.

Before applying

How can I be nominated for exchange studies at Umeå University?

To come to Umeå University as an exchange student there has to be a formal exchange agreement between your home university and Umeå University. You can ask the coordinator at your home university if such an agreement exists.

Your home university has to officially nominate you by filling out our online nomination form.

  • Nomination deadline for the autumn term: 1 April
  • Nomination deadline for the spring term: 1 October

In the event of the dates above occurring on a weekend/holiday, the deadlines are postponed to the nearest weekday.

How do I receive the link to the application?

After you have been nominated, an automatic e-mail will be sent to you with instructions on how to apply for courses. Make sure to read through the application instructions thoroughly before you start applying for courses.

How do I apply for housing?

If you are nominated for exchange studies at Umeå University, you need to indicate, in the application form in Solemove, that you are applying for housing through the Umeå University Accomodation Service.

Am I eligible for the course(s) I have applied for?

Note that all courses have specific eligibility requirements. Therefore it is important to read through the requirements of each course carefully. The requirements are not just recommendations, they need to be fulfilled in order to be eligible for the chosen course.

Will I need to provide proof of my proficiency in English?

Proficiency tests in English are not required from students under formal exchange agreements.

Are there any Swedish language courses provided for exchange students?

You can apply for the course Swedish for International Students, Beginners´ Course I, Swedish for International Students, Beginners´ Course II or Swedish for International Students, Beginners´ Course III in addition to 30 ECTS in other subjects.

Do I have to pay tuition fees?

As an exchange student you do not have to pay any tuition fees to Umeå University as long as you apply for courses offered to exchange students.

Am I covered by any insurance?

All exchange students at Umeå University are covered by an insurance policy, Student IN, covering necessary and reasonable costs for emergency health care and emergency dental care. Visit Kammarkollegiets website for full details about the Student IN insurance.

EU/EEA citizens are required by the Swedish authorities to bring the European Health Insurance Card to Sweden. They are requested to contact their local National Health Insurance Institution for the required documents, before coming to Sweden.

Note: You are, no matter nationality, strongly advised to take out your own Health, Travel and Accident insurance policy.

After applying

What happens after I have submitted my application?

If you do not meet the requirements, or if any documentation is missing, we will contact you. You can follow the status of your application on your account at the University Admissions website.

You will receive an e-mail in mid-November/mid-May notifying you that the results of the selection have been published at your account on the University Admissions website.

As an exchange student you shall not reply to your Notification of selection results, if you have been admitted.

If you, however, decide not to attend the course you've been offered a place in, please make sure to decline your offer:

  1. Log in to your account at 'My pages' on the University Admissions website.
  2. Go to 'Applications' and follow the instructions.
  3. You should click "I wish to decline this offer" next to the course or programme you want to decline.

What does "conditionally admitted" mean?

If you have been conditionally admitted to one or several courses it means that you must pass the courses you are currently enrolled in at your home university, before the course at our university starts.

How can I have documents signed (e.g Learning Agreement, Confirmation of Arrival, Confirmation of stay)?

Make sure to fill out the information requested in your document.

Learning Agreement: After you have been admitted, the International Office can sign your Learning Agreement. Before your arrival, you can send it directly to the International Office: incoming.io@umu.se.

Confirmation of Arrival, Confirmation of Stay etc: Can be signed in the beginning of the term (at the earliest the day of Orientation). You could hand in the document at Infocenter, visit us during drop-in hours (will be announced), or send your document via e-mail: infocenter@umu.se


During studies

How do I find the schedule for my course(s)?

Go to the course catalogue for exchange students.

Use the search function to find the course you have been admitted to, and go to the course web page. There you will find a welcome letter with important information to know as a newly admitted student. If there is no welcome letter published, we recommend that you contact the department responsible for the course, by filling out the contact form under Contact us (on the respective course page).

Is it possible to change courses?

Course changes after the application deadline are restricted since we do not have an add/drop period. The only valid reasons for course changes are: a schedule conflict, or if the change is a requirement from your home university.

It is not possible to add any courses directly at the University Admissions website and it is not possible to submit a late application directly at university admissions. If you do, that application will not be considered as part of your exchange studies and will be deleted.

For questions regarding course changes, contact incoming.io@umu.se


After completion of studies

How do I receive the Transcript of records?

Infocenter can provide you with this document upon request.

How can I have documents signed before departure (e.g Learning Agreement, Confirmation of Departure, Confirmation of stay)?

Learning Agreement: The International Office can sign your Learning Agreement. Send it to incoming.io@umu.se.

Confirmation of departure, Confirmation of Stay etc: Can be signed in the end of the term. You could hand in the document at Infocenter, or send your document via e-mail: infocenter@umu.se

Latest update: 2023-02-01