Skip to content
Main menu hidden.

Entry requirements

Are you eligible for studies at Umeå University? There are different levels of eligibility that you have to meet to study different courses and programmes. All applicants must meet the basic eligibility requirements.

Basic eligibility

If you have completed an upper secondary school/high school education that makes you eligible for higher studies in your home country and meet the language requirements in English and/or Swedish, you are eligible for university studies at Umeå University as well.

More information about language requirements can be found under "Special requirements" further down on this page.

For students who received their final school grades after 31 December 2009, there is an additional entry requirement for mathematics as follows:

  • The student must have successfully completed courses in mathematics to reach the level of the Swedish course Mathematics A (approximately 10 years of mathematics studies).

This mathematics requirement does not apply to students who received their final school grades before 1 January 2010.

Eligibility for master's programmes

To be eligible to study at a Master's programme you must also have an undergraduate degree equivalent to a Swedish Bachelor's degree (Kandidatexamen).

This means a minimum of three (3) years university/college studies (180 ECTS) from an accredited university/college with a minimum of two terms (60 ECTS) of full-time studies in one discipline/subject/major.

Depending on the country you graduated from, there may also be other requirements regarding qualifications and which enclosures your need for your application. Visit the University Admissions website for more information about required documents.

Note! Results below second class are not accepted and study results under 50 % will not be considered.

Special requirements

For many courses and programmes (and all Master's programmes) there are special eligibility requirements to be met. These requirements generally concern previous studies in the specific subject or field of study.

These special requirements are specified in the information regarding each course/programme in the on-line course catalogue. Look for the heading 'Application and eligibility'.

Basic proficiency in English

For most master's level courses and programmes, the requirement is the equivalent to English course B/6 from Swedish upper Secondary School (high school). Some education might require a lower level of English (equivalent to English course A/5 from Swedish Upper Secondary School).

Proficiency in basic English can be proven by test scores from a number of internationally recognised tests. More information about English language requirements can be found on the University Admissions website.

Proficiency in Swedish

To study one of the programmes or courses that are taught in Swedish you must prove that you have sufficient proficiency in Swedish. This can be done through the TISUS test.

If you are in the final year of your undergraduate degree

You can apply to a Master's programme during the last year of your undergraduate degree programme. Your application may be considered if you provide the necessary documentation on the University Admission website.

If you can't present your complete transcript and degree by the start of the programme, you will not be able to start the programme. This applies to all applicants, both EU/EEA and non-EU/EEA applicants.

Recognition of prior learning

You can be considered eligible for a course or a programme despite the fact you don't meet the formal entry requirements. This can be done by referring to your accumulated competence, if you document it completely and clearly.

If you do not fulfil the requirements formally but still feel that you have acquired the knowledge needed to study a specific course or programme, you can apply for recognition of prior learning. In the application you must describe in what way you acquired knowledge and proficiency that gives you the ability to pursue higher studies.

To apply for recognition of prior learning you must first make an application for a course or programme. Read more about prior learning and exemptions on the website.

Interested in making an application? Please consult with a study counsellor.

Departure from the usual selection criteria (specific reasons)

You may be admitted if the university allows departures from standard selection criteria. The reasons may be medical, social or that you have already undergone a qualified course or possess other valuable experience. Only a few applicants are granted departure from the usual selection criteria.

  • submit a certificate from a doctor, psychologist, social worker, audiologist, trainers or equivalent. Copies must be witnessed by two people with names and phone numbers,
  • attach a statement to your application

Medical or social reasons that affected your ability to compete for a place on the training you seek. This can include serious illness, prolonged hospitalization, medication, difficult home or family circumstance, or the like.

Specific qualifications may mean that you have previous training, work or other things that means you have special conditions for education.

Use the form below to apply for departure from the usual selection criteria. An application must have been submitted to the Student Services/Admissions Office at Umeå University by 15 April for autumn semester studies, by 15 October for spring semester studies or by 15 March for summer semester studies.

You will get a message in your letter of acceptance saying whether or not your application has been approved.

Application for a departure from the usual selection criteria

Application for deferment

The decision to defer the start of your course may be granted if you have valid reasons to do so.

If you are admitted to a course or a programme, and have valid reasons (e.g. social or medical) as to why you can not start the course, you can apply for a deferment. If you are granted a deferment, you are guaranteed a place on the course at a later term.

Applications should be submitted to Student Services and must include a copy of the admission letter and certificate confirming your reasons. You can appeal the deferment decision.

Application for deferment