Information for students, faculty and staff regarding COVID-19. (Updated: 31 March 2020)

Skip to content

FAQ about degrees

Here are answers to frequently asked questions about degrees. If you can´t find what you are looking for, please use the contact form on this page.

Before you apply

Why should I apply for my degree, and how do I do that?

The degree certificate shows the degree you have obtained at Umeå University. It is a valuable document for the future if you want to continue studying or do research. For many employers, a degree certificate is also a requirement when you apply for work.

You need to apply for the degree certificate yourself.

Can I submit my application before I finish my last course?

You can apply for the degree when all courses that will be included in your degree are completed and the grades are reported in Ladok. On My Page you will see which of your courses are completed under the heading "Completed courses".

Do I need to attach any documents to my degree application?

Normally, you do not need to attach any documents. If we need any certified copies, we will contact you when the application has been received and the processing has begun.

Can I include courses from other universities in my degree?

If you have studied one or more courses at other universities in Sweden, it may be possible to get them included in your degree at our university. When you apply, you select all the courses you want to include in your degree.

The degree certificate shall be awarded by the university where you have taken the last course. This does not apply if the universities concerned have agreed otherwise on the case in question.

Can I include credits transferred from my previous studies or professional experience, in my degree?

If you have previous studies or professional experience, you may have the opportunity to get credits transferred to courses at Umeå University. Depending on what degree you are planning to apply for, it may be possible to include transferred credits in your degree.

Read more about transfer of credits.

Can I get more than one degree?

Yes, if you fulfil the requirements for another main field of study or a different specialisation. You must make an application per degree.

What is stated in a degree certificate, and what is a Diploma Supplement?

In your degree certificate, it is stated the title (for example "Degree of Bachelor of Science") and the courses included in your degree. If the degree has a main field of study and/or a specialisation, that will also show in the degree certificate.

The degree certificate will be written in both Swedish and English and is free of charge.

When you receive a degree certificate issued by a Swedish university you will automatically receive two appendices written in English. One is a so-called Diploma Supplement (DS) which shortly describes the education. It is not a substitute for the degree certificate but is just an appendix to it. The second appendix describes the Swedish higher education system. These two appendices aim to facilitate recognition and transfer of credits of a Swedish degree when you are about to get employed or for further studies abroad.

How should I apply for a course certificate?

You don't need to attach course certificates when you apply for your degree.

Course certificates are issued by the department where you have studied your course. No information about your degree will show in a course certificate.

Contact the department if you want a course certificate.

After you have sent in your application

How will I know that my application has been received and is being processed?

Once you have submitted your application, you can click on the "Cases" tab to see that your application has been received. Later on you can also see that the application is being processed and when your case is completed. You will receive an e-mail when the case is completed, which either contains your degree certificate or a rejection of your application.

How can I add information to a degree application that I have already submitted?

If you have submitted your degree application and wish to add information, you shall leave a message to Infocenter. You can use the contact form on this page. The appointed degree evaluation officer will receive your message. Since your degree application is already being processed, you shall not submit a new application only to attach additional information.

The degree certificate will be sent to the e-mail address you have registered in Ladok when the degree is being issued. You can change your email address in Ladok before or after you have submitted your degree application. You shall not submit a new application to notify a new e-mail address.

How to change your email address in Ladok:
1. Go to
2. Choose Umeå University as your university in the list.
3. Log in with your Umu-id and password.
4. Select My pages.
5. Click Change contact channels.
6. Enter the email address you use.
7. Click Save.

How soon can I get my degree certificate?

The processing time varies during the year depending on the number of applications received and the complexity of your application. If your degree application entails a decision on transfer of credits, processing time may be extended. The processing time is normally within 60 days.

Professional degrees with licence requirements from the The National Board of Health and Welfare (Socialstyrelsen) are prioritised.

How will I receive my degree certificate?

When your degree has been issued, it will be sent to you as an attached PDF file in an e-mail message. Therefore, you need to make sure that the e-mail address you have entered in Ladok is correct.

Please note that when the degree certificate has been issued, the e-mail may end up in your spam folder. If you find the message there, you should move it to the inbox, since many e-mail services will empty the spam folder automatically after some time.

Add the domain ( as a trusted sender if this is possible in your e-mail program. This may reduce the risk that messages from Umeå University will end up in the spam folder.

What happens if my application is not approved?

If your application for a degree is not approved, you will receive a rejection sent to you by e-mail.

You have the right to appeal that decision. The appeal must be in writing and sent to Umeå University within three weeks of the day you received the decision.

Learn more about how to appeal

When your degree has been issued

I can not open my degree certificate (PDF file) - how can I do this?

When your degree has been issued, it will be sent to you as an attached PDF file in an e-mail message.

To open the document correctly, use a PDF reader (not a PDF editor). PDF readers can be downloaded for free from the internet.

Your degree certificate is not password protected. If you get a password request when you try to open the document, you are using the wrong type of program. Try again using a PDF reader.

Will my name be published in any newspapers?

We do not automatically send out information about issued degrees to newspapers. However, since the information is public documentation, names and degrees will be sent to the newspapers who request the information.

I need to prove that I have a degree - can I order a copy of my degree certificate?

Often, an official transcript of records (result certificate) can be sufficient to confirm that you have your degree. The result certificate shows your completed courses and, if applicable, your degree at Umeå University and can for example be used to verify your study results for an employer. You can download a result certificate via a link on My page. These have electronic seals that confirm the authenticity of the certificates.

If a result certificate is not sufficient, we can send you a verified copy of the degree certificate that you have already received. The copy will be sent to you by regular mail, normally within a week. It may be possible to get a digital copy, which is then sent to the email address you entered in Ladok. Here is information on how to change your e-mail address in Ladok.

If you want a result certificate or a copy of your degree certificate, please contact Infocenter. You can use the contact form on this page. Specify the degree in question, your name and Swedish civic registration number (if you don´t have one, please notify your date of birth instead), and the postal address you want it sent to. If you order a certificate for your studies, this means that Umeå University will process your personal data. For more information, please read

Can I get a new degree certificate if I have changed my name or Swedish civic registration number?

Normally, a new degree certificate will not be issued. This means that you can not get a new degree certificate if you have changed your first name or family name.

If you have changed your Swedish civic registration number ("personnummer") because you have been given protected personal data ("fingerade personuppgifter") by the Swedish authorities or have changed your gender affiliation, you have the right to receive a new degree certificate. If so, you need to verify this change with a certificate from the Swedish Tax Agency. You are welcome to contact Infocenter if you need more information.

Please note that if you received a degree certificate when you did not have a Swedish civic registration number ("personnummer") and the Swedish Tax Agency later provide you with this, you will not receive a new degree certificate.

Who can verify copies that I have made of my degree certificate?

By verifying a copy, someone other than yourself will certify that it is a true copy of the original. The certification need not be made by a representative of an authority. The verification shall be written directly on the copy and include signature, printed name and phone number.

If you want the certification to be made by Umeå University, please turn to Infocenter.

How can I get my degree certificate legalised?

A legalisation is a stamp that certifies that the signature on a document is genuine. If you need to legalise Swedish documents requested by or to be presented to a foreign authority you can contact a notary public (designated in Sweden by the County Administrative Board Länsstyrelsen) or the Ministry of Foreign Affairs/Government Offices of Sweden (Utrikesdepartementet/Regeringskansliet).

For information about the legalisation of documents, please read on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website.

I am going to attend the doctoral conferment ceremony - how can I get a doctoral hat, laurel wreath or a doctoral ring?

Here is information about how to order doctoral insignia.

Degree requirements

What requirements and main fields of study are established at Umeå University?

Here you will find information about degree requirements and the list of main fields of study at Umeå University.

If you need guidance or study planning, you should contact the student counsellor at the responsible department (or equivalent).

Can I get my degree according to the Degree Ordinance of 1993?

If you have started your studies before 1 July 2007, you have the right to get a degree under the Degree Ordinance of 1993, but only if all the courses were completed at latest the 30 June 2015.

You also have the opportunity to choose a degree according to the Degree Ordinance of 2007 if you meet the requirements. If you need guidance or study planning, you should contact the student counsellor at the responsible department (or equivalent).

Contact form

Your message is sent to Infocenter at Umeå University. They will pass your message on to the person concerned.

Please be aware that the University is a public authority and that what you write here can be included in an official document. Therefore, be careful if you are writing about sensitive or personal matters in this contact form. If you have such an enquiry, please call us instead. All data will be treated in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation.