Skip to content
Main menu hidden.

Before departure

When you have been admitted to one of our partner universities or if you have organised studies abroad on your own, don’t wait until the last minute with preparations. On this page you will find a checklist of things to keep in mind before you pack your bags.

Before you go

Apply for financial aid for studies

To be eligible for financial aid to study abroad, you must meet special requirements. Normally, only Swedish citizens are entitled to student aid for studies outside Sweden. However, CSN may make an exception from this rule for EEA nationals and their relatives.

You can read more at:
Studies outside Sweden

Apply for a scholarship

Exchange studies via program

If you go as an exchange student through Erasmus+, Nordplus and North2North you can apply for a scholarship from the program to cover extra expenses during your study period. Information on how to apply for a scholarship can be found on each program's website:

Exchange studies on your own

If you have arranged your studies on your own, you can not apply for a scholarship via Umeå University, but there are other organizations that you can apply through.

Here are some tips on sites where you can find scholarships to apply for.

Find somewhere to live

Many of our partner universities assist exchange students in finding accommodation. What kind of help you can get and what rules apply differ between countries and universities.

Usually you can find information on the host university's website. You can also contact the international contact person at your department, or the International Office if you go through a university-wide agreement, who might have information on how former exchange students have arranged accommodation.

If you have arranged studies abroad on your own, you should turn directly to the foreign college or university to get advice on finding accommodation.

Fill out a contact form

If you go through a departmental or faculty-based agreement, fill out a Contact form and submit it to your department. This is so the University are able to contact your family if something should happen to you during your stay abroad.

Apply for a visa or residence permit

Do you need to apply for a visa or a residence permit? The processing can take time so make sure you find out as soon as possible. You turn directly to the country's embassy or consulate here in Sweden. Remember that if you are to apply for a visa you must apply for a student visa, not a tourist visa. You must have been admitted to the foreign university or college before you apply.

Get insurance

If you attend on exchange studies you are insured via the Legal, Financial and Administrative Services Agency's (Kammarkollegiet) insurance called Student UT. It includes both personal injury and travel protection.

You are responsible for determining whether the Student OUT is sufficient or whether you need to take out your own insurance policy.
Student OUT

If you go outside an exchange agreement you have to take out your own insurance policy.

Prepare to transfer your credits

If you study abroad as an exchange student, you should be able to transfer your credits from the host university to your education at Umeå University. If you have organised your studies abroad on your own, you can also apply to have your credits transferred.

Consult your study counsellor or programme coordinator before you go

You may need to find courses at the host institution which corresponds to the courses you would have studied at Umeå University. If you study abroad during a so-called mobility window, you are not limited to a specific subject or level of education, but you should still discuss your course choices with your study counsellor or programme coordinator at your department.

Are you going as an Erasmus+ student?

Then you should complete a Learning Agreement. In this document, you and your study counsellor or programme coordinator agree on which courses you should study abroad.

Change courses

If you want or need to change a course during your studies abroad, it is important that you contact your study counsellor or programme coordinator so that they accept your change of course.

Apply to transfer your credits

Once you have completed your studies abroad, you must apply to have your credits accredited. Your credits are not transferred automatically.

You can find the application for transfer of credits here:
Transfer of credits


Minimize the risk of something unforeseen happening by taking heed of the information relevant to the country and/or city to which you are travelling. The actions below can increase your security and safety whilst going on an exchange.

Below you can also find a checklist to download that can be used to prepare for your departure.

Before departure

Download Checklist to do before departure

If you are travelling abroad and have a smartphone, download the "UD Resklar" app to access the information relevant to the country you are intending to visit. Alternatively, study information about the country on the Ministry for Foreign Affairs' website. Follow the recommendations issued by the Ministry for Foreign Affairs.

Register your stay abroad through Svensklistan (if you are a Swedish citizen). On Svensklistan you can submit information of your location and how you can be contacted during your stay. The information could be used by the Ministry for Foreign Affairs or the embassy to contact you if a consular crisis situation would occur. The information is saved during a certain time period, which you choose yourself.

If you are travelling abroad, always take your passport and any necessary visa. Many countries require the passport to be valid for at least six months from the date of entry. Visa information on the Ministry for Foreign Affairs' website gives you guidance.

Check if you need to apply for a visa for the countries that you are visiting or traveling through (outside of EU). Changes in your travel plans could lead to changes in the rules of the visa. Keep in mind that the rules of the visa could change from the time of the booking of the flight to the time of the departure.

Take a copy of your passport and save it digitally in a secure, accessible location.

Check if you need to have any vaccines or if there are any vaccine recommendations for your travel destination. Make sure that you bring your vaccination card with you.

If you are travelling within the EU, always take the European Health Insurance Card (Swedish Social Insurance Agency). This card entitles you to emergency medical care according to the same rules that apply for the country's citizens.

Save contact details and important phone numbers in different ways, not just on your mobile phone.

Inform your institution, the International Office and the partner university about your travel plans and your ICE-contacts (In Case of Emergency).

Pay heed to the safety information of your partner university.

Write down your credit card number and store the information elsewhere than in your wallet. Write down a phone number that you can call to block your credit card if necessary and make sure that the number is accessible in different locations.

During your travel/exchange

Keep regular contact with your relatives.

Keep yourself informed of local occurrences/changes that could affect your security/travel plans, for example, through the local media or the embassy/UD (Ministry of Foreign Affairs).

If a serious event occurs near where you are (eg terrorist crime, natural disaster), contact your relatives and your institution or International Office.

Look up important safety information from the partner university such as safety regarding the campus and possible safety numbers or safety contacts. It is also important that you look up if there are any areas that are less safe to visit. Avoid these areas.

If something happens

If a war or other crisis situation arises, contact relatives and the workplace as soon as possible. Use regular contact paths.

In major crisis situations or if regular contact paths do not work, phone the University's internal Emergency Number +46-90-7869700. Calls are answered 24/7, and contact can be established with the University's crisis group.

In the event of outbreaks of war, natural disasters, major accidents or crisis situations at the place you are located, contact the Swedish Embassy or consulate in the country. Follow the recommendations issued by the Ministry for Foreign Affairs.

Latest update: 2024-04-30