Skip to content
Main menu hidden.

How to use the student web

At the student web, there are a number of web pages with general information about things you need to know when you are a student at Umeå University. You will also find information and services related to your own studies. Here you get an overview.

When you have been admitted to an education, you must register. During your studies, you need to sign up for examinations. When your teacher has checked your exam, you will want to know your result. This type of information about your studies is recorded in the Ladok system. Schedules and tasks that you need to do during your studies are available in other systems. You can find all the information relating to your studies, when you have signed in with your Umu-ID, on one of four pages on the student web: the start page, Completed courses and certificates, My certificates or My settings.

On the start page


At the top of the page you will see the heading "Notifications" when you have received one. You will receive notifications when:

  • Registration is open for a course you have been admitted to. Above the course name, it says which last date you have to register to keep your place on the course.
  • There is an opportunity to do an examination on a course module you are not yet approved on. Next to the name of the course and the module, it says which last date you must sign up to get a place in the examination hall.

Active and not completed courses

"Active courses" are those for which you have been registered for the current term, but also courses you have been admitted to but have not yet registered for. "Not completed courses" are courses from previous terms that you have not yet completed.

Next to the course name is a coloured text that tells you if you have been admitted or registered on the course.

As soon as you have been finally admitted to a course at Umeå University, you will see it on the start page of the student website. Next to the course name, you will find a coloured text that says "Admitted".

Please remember that you may have to reply to your first Notification of selection results in order to keep the place you've been offered, or to be placed on the reserve/waiting list for the second selection round. To find out more and to reply, go to Universityadmissions.se.

If you already know that you do not intend to take the course, you should decline. By declining, you give up your place on the course, and also make the place available for students on the waiting list. If you change your mind later, you must re-apply to the course and are not guaranteed a place. You will find the "Decline" button next to the course name.

Course registration

In order to participate, you must register for a course you have been admitted to. Registration is only open for a certain period of time.

The department responsible for the course you are going to study, has chosen whether the registration is to be done on the student website or via the department.

  • If the department has chosen to use web registration, you will see a notification about the course at the top of the student website. There, you will also see the last date when you can register for the course in question. Next to the course name there is a button, "Register". Click it, and follow the instructions to complete your registration.
  • If, on the other hand, the registration is to be done via the department, the course will not appear among the notifications on the student website. Instead, you will see information about how to register next to the course name in the list of your active courses. This means that you shall contact the department to be registered on the course.

If you do not register on time, you will lose your place on the course. If you click the "Register" button in such cases, you will receive a message that the registration has closed. If so, you can contact the department and ask if there are places left, but please be aware that you are no longer guaranteed a place.

Find out more about registration

Signing up (registration) for examination

You always need to sign up no later than ten working days prior to the specific exam, if you intend to attend a written examination. If the department has chosen to have the exam registration on the student website, you will receive a notification at the top of the page stating by which date you must have signed up. Otherwise, you will receive information from your department about how to sign up for an examination.

Next to the course name under the heading "Notifications", the "Sign up" button appears when the sign-up period is open. If you make your application there, the course will disappear from the list under "Notifications". To see that you have been signed up, you go to the course in the list under "Active courses" (further down on the page). Click on the arrow next to the course name so that the course information is displayed. You will then see the text "Signed up" and the button "Unsubscribe" for the examination occasion in question.

You can also sign up by scrolling to the list of active courses further down the page. If so, click the arrow next to the course name so that the course information is displayed, and then click the "Sign up" button.

If you have signed up for an exam that you later realise that you will not participate in, it is helpful if you withdraw. The "Withdraw" button appears next to the course name after you have signed up and until the exam date has passed.

Find out more about examinations

Interruption of course (non-completion of studies)

If something happens during the course that makes you decide not to continue studying it, you need to interrupt your studies. By interrupting, you give up your place. If you wish to resume your studies on the course at a later time, you are not guaranteed a place.

Click the arrow next to the course name, and you will find the link "Interrupt course" below the course information. In the next step you can either make the interruption yourself, or get information that you should contact the department responsible for the course to announce that you will interrupt your studies on the course.

Please note that if you need a study break and wish to resume your studies at a later time, you can apply for an approved leave from studies instead of interrupting your studies.

If you want to interrupt your programme studies, you should do so by using the form that is also available via the link below.

Find out more about interruptions (non-completion of studies) and forms to report such, and also about approved leave from studies.


Completed courses and degrees, and to get certificates

Completed courses and degrees

Find your completed courses and degrees on the Completed courses and certificates webpage.

Get certificates (transcript of records)

If you want to prove that you are registered for studies, get an overview of all your studies at Umeå University or verify what education you have when applying for a job, you can get a transcript of records from the study administration system (Ladok).

Create your certificate on the My certificates webpage. If you have created certificate before, you will also find them on this page.

My settings

Give consent

Some companies offering student prices or discounts want to verify through Ladok that you are indeed a student. In order for them to do so, you must first give your consent.

You will find what companies this includes and give your consent on the My settings webpage.

Change your contact information

Your address where you are registered in the Swedish Population Register is imported to Ladok from the Swedish Tax Agency every week. To change that address, turn to the Swedish Tax Agency. The information related to your studies that you can change via the link below are:

  • Postal address, if you live on an address other than where you are registered
  • Phone number
  • Email address for communications with the university about your studies

Are you or have you been studying at another university or university college in Sweden? If so, you may want to know that the contact details you enter here are the same that will be shown for these universities or university colleges. Please check your contact information to ensure that the university can contact you as you please.

Check or edit your contact information on the My settings webpage.

Latest update: 2022-12-01