A Bachelor's degree or equivalent first-cycle qualification comprising of at least 180 ECTS or a corresponding qualification from an internationally recognized university. Specific entry requirements are: 60 ECTS in the field of Design + Portfolio. Proficiency in English equivalent to Swedish upper secondary course English B/6.
Application is made in two steps, registration and uploading of portfolio together with letter of motivation. You can only apply to UID programmes in the First admission round, autumn semester at University Admissions. This means that UID programmes are not open for late applications. Please note that communication about your admission process will be handled through your University Admission account, which you create when you register.
Register your application via universityadmissions.se when the application opens. Follow the instructions and upload required supporting academic documents. Important: You need to keep your personal application number for further steps (an eight or nine digit number).
2) Portfolio and letter of motivation requirements
- Different industrial design projects showing one's reasoning to select ideas and then moving those from 2D into 3D form. Including freehand sketches and renderings
- Motivation or background story for the design proposals should be described in a visual and concise manner.
- Pictures of mockups, sculptures, physical or digital models.
- There is no expectation that these three-dimensional work samples will display experience in vehicle design.
- The format of your digital portfolio should be landscape, PDF. Make sure to optimize the PDF for screen viewing.
- A maximum file size of 100 MB is allowed, but we recommend that you upload files around 20-50 MB for easy handling.
Letter of motivation requirements
- In your letter of motivation, please describe the reason why you would like to specialise in Transportation Design. Describe what you personally would like to explore and learn through your studies at Umeå Institute of design.
- The letter of motivation should be maximum one page (A4 size).
- The portfolio must be uploaded as a PDF.
- The letter of motivation must be uploaded as a PDF.
- Overall capabilities and skill level in industrial design.
- Knowledge about manufacturing technologies and materials.
- Aesthetic judgement and understanding of three-dimensional form
- Ability to identify relevant opportunities and to solve problems using design as a process.
- Creative thinking and artistic ability, expressed both by freehand sketches and renderings.
- A progressive and visionary perspective, for example through life-centric design thinking.
The selection process based on the applicant's submitted materials is done in two steps. Shortlisting is based solely on the talent displayed in the portfolios.
- First part: 20-30 applications are shortlisted by the recruitment group.
- Second part: Applicants who are shortlisted to the second part of the selection process will be contacted for an interview.
If you are accepted to the programme, please visit the Migration Agency website to inform yourself on practical visa and residency details. This does not apply for Swedish citizens.
Please contact us, by writing an email to email@example.com.
The programme is taught in English.
About 10-12 students are admitted to the programme every year, plus 2 exchange students may be accepted for one or two semesters.
Tuition fees are covered by Swedish government grants for EU citizens. Scholarships are available for non EU students.
16 October 2023
15 January 2024
Last day to register at universityadmissions.se, deadline at midnight CET.
1 February 2024
- To submit your supporting academic documents at University Admissions.
- To submit you portfolio and letter of motivation via the UID web. Deadline at midnight CET.
- To confirm of your EU/EEA citizenship status in order not to have to pay application or tuition fees. If you are EU/EEA citizen, read more here.
- For the application fee of 900 SEK to be received by University Admissions in order for your application to be processed.
27 March 2024
Notification of the selection results is sent out via 'University Admissions'
Latest update: 2023-02-08