Are you considering exchange studies at Umeå School of Architecture?

We are happy that you are interested in spending your exchange period at Umeå School of Architecture. The information on this page will be helpful as you embark on this new and exciting journey.


In order to apply for exchange studies at Umeå School of Architecture (UMA) you first need to be nominated by your home university, which is possible if an exchange agreement exists between UMA and your home university (see link to the right). The coordinator at your home university nominates you for exchange studies by filling out an online form. The link to the form is not published online, it is sent by e-mail to your coordinator.

Nomination deadline
Autumn term: 1 April
Spring term: 1 October 
If you are nominated to exchange studies at UMA for two semesters, please note that you need to apply and be admitted to courses each semester. 


Once your home university has submitted the nomination you will receive application instructions and a link to the web page where you apply for courses.     

Application deadline
Autumn term: 15 April
Spring term: 15 October
The course selection must be approved by your home university before the application is submitted. Make sure to plan your course selection very carefully since a change of courses is only allowed under special circumstances after your application has been made.

If you require a residence permit you must be admitted to 30 ECTS. If you are admitted to 30 ECTS the exceeding courses on the list will be dropped, with the exception of courses in Swedish for International Students. These courses can be selected in addition to 30 ECTS in other subjects. 

Meeting qualifications

To be accepted, you have to fulfill the requirements of the course and there has to be available places. The specific requirements for each course is stated on the course pages and are found by clicking on the course name in the list of courses and then click on "Application information". The requirements are not just a recommendation; it is necessary to fulfill them.

Exchange courses

We offer courses for exchange students (course packages) on year 2 (term 3 and 4) and year 4 (term 7 and 8):

Fall term 2021
Course Name
Architecture, term 3
First cycle
Architecture and Urban Design, term 7
Second cycle

Spring term 2022
Course Name
Architecture, term 4
First cycle
Architecture and Urban Design, term 8
Second cycle
The Department of Language Studies offers courses in Swedish catering for international students at Umeå University. For further information, please visit this page.

Learning Agreement

The Learning Agreement is an official Erasmus+ document, which is issued to students taking part in a study exchange through the programme. The purpose of the Learning Agreement is to provide a transparent and efficient preparation of the study period abroad and to ensure that you will receive recognition for the educational components successfully completed abroad. Your home institution should issue you with this document before you start your mobility.

The Learning Agreement must be signed by three parties - the student, the home institution coordinator and the international contact person at UMA.

Please note that you are not guaranteed a place on the courses you specify in the Learning Agreement. To be guaranteed a place/seat, you must first apply and be admitted to the course.

Academic Term Dates

The Academic Calendar at Umeå University is divided into two terms (semesters). The Autumn Term begins during the end of August and ends in the middle of January. The Spring Term begins in the middle of January and ends during the early part of June.

Academic Calendar

Grading system

At Umeå School of Architecture, the following grades are awarded: Pass (godkänd) or Fail (underkänd).  

For comparison of grades, the ECTS Grading Table (EGT) shall be used instead of the ECTS grading scale (A-F). Grade distribution will not show for courses established less than two years before the date when the student has completed his/her course. Student's home university is responsible for any translation into their local grading system.

Course load

One academic term comprises 20 weeks. Full-time study consists of 30 ECTS per term which means approximately 40 hours of study per week including a varying number of lectures and classes. 

Support for students with disabilities

As a student with a disability, you can receive different types of support in connection with your studies.

Support for students with disabilities


Umeå University offers student halls of residence close to the university.

Housing for International Students  


All exchange students are covered by an insurance policy, Student IN, covering necessary and reasonable costs for emergency health care and emergency dental care. The insurance also covers damage to property. Please note that the insurance amount is restricted for emergency dental care and property damage. Travel outside of Sweden is not included in the cover. For full details about the Student IN insurance please visit Kammarkollegiet. If the insurance is not sufficient students should take out their own insurance policy.

More information

Read more about practical services and how you can prepare yourself for exchange studies at Umeå University here:

Exchange Studies at Umeå University

Contact us

International Coordinator
Sofia Mikaelsson

Latest update: 2023-09-05